Fast Cooking Brisket Questions

GridironGriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If I smoke my brisket around 325* - 350* and then follow my normal process (wrap at 165* and cooler around 195*) will I generally still get a juicy/tender brisket? Am I better off lowering the heat once it is wrapped to give the connective tissues more time to break down or will the time in the cooler take care of most of that? Should I bring it to 165* at a lower temp, then kick up the heat once it is wrapped?

What are thoughts here on a fast cook/high heat brisket? And do they work well for competition, too?

I'm planning to experiment with one this weekend.

Looking forward to yalls thoughts!

Do the whole cook at 325-350 and yes follow the normal foil at 165 then cook till tender and yes you will get a juicy and tender brisket in a lot shorter time that low and slow. I do all my briskets high heat and they turn out great! As far as competition I have never competed (but dream of it one day!) so I can't comment there. Give high heat a try and see how you like it.

Don't you scream past 180 too quick? I always thought it was important to stall around there to melt the collagen. Or does the stewing inside the foil counter it?

Don't you scream past 180 too quick? I always thought it was important to stall around there to melt the collagen. Or does the stewing inside the foil counter it?

They still take me about 4.5 - 5hrs so its not like its super fast but I never really paid attention to the stall. Mine still come out super tender and juicy. I'll have to watch that next time.

My last 2 briskies have been hot 'n fast, and I'm sold on the idea. Not to say I'd never try another low 'n slow. Last time I did not foil mine until I took it off, and it was a little drier than I'd like. Foil as per what's been said on here already should produce a plum-larrapin' brisket.

Then you'll have to post pics, you know.

The faster you cook the brisket the higher the finishing temp needs to be. Whereas we used to pull briskets around 195 internal cooking low and slow, we now go to 205+ cooking them on the drums. Use the probe to check for tenderness. Foil as you normally do just know that you can jump 30 degrees in half an hour once foiled.

Yup, what Paul said!

Since i started vending, i'm cooking 12-15 lb packers on the drum at 300ish and finishing in about 8 hrs, juicy as can be without all the waiting! :biggrin:

Bubba, do you use more fuel on the drum with the high heat cook?

Anyone do hot n fast and not foil? Just gonna do it uncovered fat down on da drum

Anyone do hot n fast and not foil? Just gonna do it uncovered fat down on da drum

I have but prefer to use the crutch. Depending on how hot your cooking, you may need to start the cook fat side up for 45 minutes to even the heat out. We've had a few where the bottom of the flat gets overcooked while the top is undercooked.

I wrap them after they hit 180-190. By then the bark is set pretty good. Foiling does damage the bark though.

Yah don't say?

Yup, what Paul said!

Since i started vending, i'm cooking 12-15 lb packers on the drum at 300ish and finishing in about 8 hrs, juicy as can be without all the waiting! :biggrin:

Same here. My high temp briskets always come out super tender and juicy. I always wrap in foil, though, because I love the juices that develop in there. I also try to cooler it for a couple of hours after it reaches temp.

The faster you cook the brisket the higher the finishing temp needs to be. Whereas we used to pull briskets around 195 internal cooking low and slow, we now go to 205+ cooking them on the drums. Use the probe to check for tenderness. Foil as you normally do just know that you can jump 30 degrees in half an hour once foiled.

When you do them on the drum do you use any heat shields?

Bubba, do you use more fuel on the drum with the high heat cook?

Same amount in 8 hrs as you would in 16. :biggrin: YMMV

No foil until they're done, then i pan and foil and rest, get plenty of juice!

Fatside down, untouched till probe tender, usually 200-210ish.

I haven't learned to "hear" when it's done yet. :cool:

Thanks Bubba, kinda what I thought. May give this a try this weekend. Not to hijack the thread but did a 5 lb pork butt awhile back high heat, and it was awsome. Thanks bro.

Back