Problem with Akorn

I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.

I built a UDS long ago and find it is considerably more difficult to hold temps. I don't think my air control system is very good... I just have 4 holes with pipe for three of them than I can cap and one has a ball valve on it. I just could never control it easily and it was such a hassle to use and clean, I went to a vertical gasser.. made some great cue on that thing, but wanted to return to charcoal. I was hoping the Akorn was the answer.

B

I like others prefer my UDS to my Acorn for 90% of what I cook. And like mentioned, close the inlet vent before opening ( I do the same on all my smokers). If your grilling, then I don't worry about it much. I made my own inlet vent for the Acorn so I could easily control temps and have the top vent open to 1 1/2 to 2 and still maintain 225 to 250 degrees. I don't use a water pan but more of a pan on top of my pizza diffuser to catch the drippins. I haven't found a need to wrap till the meat is ready for the cooler to sit. I use mostly briquettes but still buy lump and mix it. I have not found a bag /brand of lump that I like as of yet and that is a lot of years buying it. From the brick size pieces to 1/3 bag of dust and crumbs. Having the top vent open more promotes better air flow like mentioned above. My mods are on Jim's site. A lot of folks just prefer to run with what they have/how the unit arrived and work with it, I prefer to make everything work better/easier for me. If I wasn't able to control my Acorn better I would have sold it right away as it was a huge PIA till I modified it.

I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.

You should have sold your BGE since you liked your Akorn better than your BGE.

ebijack, can you give me a link to your air intake mod for the Akorn? Thanks for the advice. I have it holding at 275 which is a little high, but I'm getting good flow through it and plan to eat it at dinner time today. Internal on the small one is at 165 and I put them on 3.25 hours ago. Should be done in about 8 I would think... maybe too fast.

Thanks for all the help here!

B

I tried a couple different intake vent opening designs, this one that is like a wine bottle allows me to get any temp I want all the way to 700+ degrees. I removed the long screw at the back of the original slider vent and use a 4mm? bolt so I can remove/install the vent opening and or slider while I was finding the best design for me. Cheap aluminum flashing, cuts with scissors, tin snips, utility knife easily. A couple of guys made a vent like mine and reused the original slider cover, I prefer to visually see the opening which you can not do with the original. If you make a new slider cover, make it longer than you think or it won't close the opening fully.
top vent
e9ia.jpg

bottom vent WAY open
sjf8.jpg

this gets me to 250-275 depending
r35a.jpg

Very nice design! The ability to restrict the air intake to that small window is smart.

Eric

Back