• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Has anyone turned in pulled chicken

SCSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Not that I am going to go this route but after re-reading the kcbs rules it allows for pulled chicken. I am wondering if any of you guys have smoked whole chickens then pulled them for a turn in. If so, how did it fair with the judges? The main reason I ask is that's how I like to eat bbq chicken at home. I rarely cook just thighs unless I am comp practicing. Thanks!

I've judged a few "pulled" chicken entries, but they are truly rare. I'd say at least 95% of the entries are thighs. I've had sliced chicken a couple times and thighs on top of chopped chicken a couple times as well.

There is a stigma with pulled chicked in that it must be over cooked and that is why they pulled it. Now if you pulled it and were able to have it still be juicy when it hit the judging table I think you might score OK. I think that, that would be a difficult thing to do. Just my 2 cents.

Big Mike

I judged about a month or so ago and got a very good pulled chicken. It looked good the box, was tender and fairly juicy...I think I gave it 8's....I talked to the other judges at our table and they really never see pulled chx, but all agreed it was ballsy and a very good box...I think it got 8/9's around the horn

in the fba we are not allowed to have greenery so we have to dress the box with meat. tipicaly you will see a bed of pulled then your pieces on top. when you make you pulled and suce it when you put it back in the the cooker to reheat it, it will act like a warmer for you thighs on top. i did a kcbs event last year and did a fba box no greeneryand got 2 9s and the rest 8s. that might not work everytime, but it did then. if the pulled is good then its good. if its not big mistake putting it in there.

in the fba we are not allowed to have greenery so we have to dress the box with meat. tipicaly you will see a bed of pulled then your pieces on top. when you make you pulled and suce it when you put it back in the the cooker to reheat it, it will act like a warmer for you thighs on top. i did a kcbs event last year and did a fba box no greeneryand got 2 9s and the rest 8s. that might not work everytime, but it did then. if the pulled is good then its good. if its not big mistake putting it in there.

I bet them are some good looking boxes.

I have done it and taken first in chicken twice.

At the first KCBS show we did years ago we turned in pulled chicken.

The judges flattened us. Was it because we were tenderfeet or because pulled chicken can't win in the South? Don't really know because we never had the guts to try it again.

Did a contest this past weekend in GA where one of the cooks wanted badly to do pulled chicken but the organizer had specified that it wasn't allowed. Don't know if we would have had enough meat for all the judges if pulled chicken were allowed - and they were told they were there to taste and not have lunch!

Lynn H.

Back