MOINK ball calzone

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tonight I offer up what will be an entry for the "surprise inside" throwdown, but will not go in the 2010 MOINK ball challenge. I'm starting with the disclaimer so BBQ Grail doesn't start sending me nastygrams about breaking competition rules.

It all started with traditional MOINK sprinkled with some Cajun and Italian seasoning mixes.

IMG_2564.jpg

The MOINK balls went on Bubba Ho-Keg for about 90 minutes and were removed without the usual glaze since there would be sauce in the calzone.

IMG_2566.jpg

I made up a batch of basic recipe bread dough from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day", tossed it into a pizza dough shape, and covered with some homemade pizza sauce, shredded cheese (this was a Mexican blend, because that’s what was in the refrigerator), MOINK balls, sliced onion, and sliced mushrooms.

IMG_2571.jpg

This all got folded up, the edges pinched together, and thrown on the cast iron pizza pan that had been sprinkled with some corn meal. After about 30 minutes, it was ready to eat.

IMG_2573.jpg

The crust didn’t brown up as much as I would have liked; this was likely due to not getting the temperature back up as high as the recipe called for (450°F) before putting it on the grill. It didn’t seem to affect the taste much though, these were pretty good (and very filling).

IMG_2576.jpg

Since I had sauce leftover and still had plenty of dough, I made up a second calzone using leftover pulled pork instead of MOINK.

IMG_2579.jpg

It looks pretty tasty, but I won’t know until tomorrow as I am way too stuffed from eating the MOINK calzone.

What's the difference between a strombolli and a calzone?

I guess in that case this was technically a stromboli. This is what comes of growing up without sufficient Italian upbringing...

That's really inventive. I'm impressed. It shows clearly that a MOINK ball can also be an ingredient... an AWESOME ingredient. First came the MOINK ball, then the MOINK ball timpano, and now the MOINK ball calzone... What's next???

Don't forget my MOINK Ball Pie...

Looks like a real tummy filler Zyd!:cool:

I like it, goiing to try it this weekend.

Making about 50 moinkballs today for the "cooks" at a retirement party.

That's really inventive. I'm impressed. It shows clearly that a MOINK ball can also be an ingredient... an AWESOME ingredient. First came the MOINK ball, then the MOINK ball timpano, and now the MOINK ball calzone... What's next???
I'm thinking Moink Ball Taco's or Burritos or Moink Balls and spaghetti.

RE: The crust didn’t brown up as much as I would have liked

Try brushing the top of the calzone w/ egg white before cooking, it will brown up nice for you

Back