Discussion Thread -> "Candied or Glazed!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Candied or Glazed!"

1-dozen-krispy-kreme-glazed-donuts.jpg

Mmmm...glazed donuts! :whoo:

As chosen by deguerre for winning the "Thanksgiving" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

deguerre said:
Hmmmm... Seasonal, and wide open. "Candied or Glazed"...with or without meat. Could be interesting. Just made a tray of brown sugar and butter fudge last night that would have been awesome if the walnuts had been smoked. Want to try pig candy too now that I'm thinking about it.

Sounds good to me! Any questions? Good. Didn't think so. :thumb:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 12/13 through Sunday 12/22.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 12/23

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I'd Graze......................er Glaze dat...............Yum.......get in my belly..........:thumb:

I think you fellers got it figured out. :thumb::thumb:

Used your glaze recipe Guerre. Modded with the rosemary and Dijon instead of mustard powder. So did't need the vinegar or the pineapple juice. And you are right 30 seconds in the wave and stir.........It Was Fabulous..........Thanks

My official entry...

I liked the sound of this one from the start.

I like to mix sweet with hot, and I think it works best with pork.

So, I started with a thick bone-in pork chop, which I brined for a few hours.

picture.php

For the heat and sweet glaze, I used real maple syrup, real butter, and some cayenne pepper.

picture.php

picture.php

While the pork chops were brining, I baked some red potatoes in butter, with a few sprigs of rosemary.

picture.php

I tossed the chop onto the OTG, and brushed it with the sweet/hot glaze, flipping it constantly, until done.

picture.php

Here is the finished product.

picture.php

It was really farking good. The mix of sweet and heat was perfect on a pork chop. I had a feeling it would be good, and every once-in-a-while, I surprise myself by being right.

CD

wow that looks great! What is a otg? :shock:

otg=weber one touch gold.

rtfal!

(read the farking acronym list)

:becky: :becky: :becky:

rtfs :boink: :becky:

CharredApron's sig said:
backyard disasters are my specialty.
"tushka" the black warrior 24 x 50 offset by tuscaloosaq, "libby the lion" l5000 gasser, and "vanessa" my vision kamado pro iii & "ruprecht" my weber otg
member of the underground zero club, certified moink baller, closet weber lover!
Member kcbs, fba
pitmaster at "sultans of sting" bbq team it's soon to be a french thing!

So. Florida bash info here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...73&postcount=1

http://www.charredapron.com

Mongo's official Glazed TD entry...

In case the title above is confusing, this is an official entry. :becky:

My latest zero has been getting pretty lonely as of late so I figured this was a good opportunity to get another one before the New Year. :thumb:

Without further ado, I present Mongo's Glazed Char Siu Pork Tenderloin.

First off the following players for the marinade / glaze.

edit_preview.php

A pinch of this, a dash of that, a tablespoon of various goodies and a full blast of you know what and on to the stove it goes to coalesce into a hot gooey marinade / glaze.

edit_preview.php

While the marinade / glaze was cooling I trimmed, cleaned and split two pork tenderloins.

edit_preview.php

Into a bag with about half of the cooled marinade / glaze and off to the fridge to rest for quite a while.

edit_preview.php

After the stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as the life age of the earth (LOTR mod), I pulled them from the marinade (focus dammit :mad:).

edit_preview.php

From there I tossed them on Traeger for a nice dose of smoke.

edit_preview.php

Once they were about 3/4 done I moved them over to the Performer to apply more glaze and give them a nice char over a bed of Balrog free lump. :loco:

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

And here we have them resting peacefully once done outside in the 30 degree weather (notice the tiny skiff of snow to the left of the Performer).

edit_preview.php

When it was all said and done, I sliced a couple up and plated them with some Chinese hot mustard, toasted sesame seeds, extra sauce and a bunch of snap peas.

edit_preview.php

Please use the pic below for the money shot.

edit_preview.php

This was my first try at Char Siu pork and overall I was pretty happy with the results. I erred on the side of not overcooking due to the lack of fat in the tenderloin. It certainly was tender and juicy, but not 100% what my taste buds were expecting. Next time I think I'll try a traditional pork butt or sirloin for a little more forgiveness on the cook time as well as a more robust flavor. All that being said, there probably won't be any leftovers by the time the weekend arrives. :hungry:

Thanks in advance for the zero! :becky:

Back