traeger bbq 400 review?

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
anyone got one of these or similar that they can do a quick review on? thanks in advance.

I've got a Texas model and it works great. I don't think I'd spend the extra $$ on the 400 since it's got a smaller cooking surface than other, cheaper Traegers, but that's just me.

A friend has the older BBQ300 model. Similar in design 'cept it has the pellet hopper inside. (What were they thinking!). Anyway they fixed that with the 400. He wishes he had purchased a Texas Grill (BBQ075) instead, for a lot of reasons. 1) More sq. inches of Q space. 2) Less $. 3) The BBQ300 (and by the looks of it the 400) have no chimneys. There's a vent along the entire length of the back side. Any little bit of wind just kills the temp. IMO it's a piss poor design. If I were in your shoes I would get the Texas Grill (BBQ075). Cheers!!!

I believe the 400 is a grill not a smoker. If you want a pellet smoker get the Tex or Lil Tex. If you want a grill there is most likely other choices for a better price. I have the Lil Tex and it is a great BBQ/Smoker/Oven.

Get the Texas 075, the 400 is not as efficient. More of a "honey I don't want a grill that looks like a smoker" design.

I've know a few who modified by adding a chimney(s) why bother. Get the Tx (075) or the Lil Tx Elite (070) which has the digital controller

Back