Got a Thai charcoal cooker

That looks way cool but not as good as your food! :clap:

Looks like you had a custom steel housing created just for this - do tell more...

Thx Moose! No custom work on it. The odd thing is the cooker on the wok shop site is not the one I found there. Mine is the same as the one on the templeofthai.com site. The craftsmanship is not the cleanest & there's some sharp edges but it has some handmade charm to it and more importantly works well.

That is very slick! Thanks for sharing those awesome cook pics, John!

Man, that is cool. Never seen one of those at The Wok Shop. Very cool.

I found it buried under a bunch of woks up front near the register Bob. Funny thing was I didn't know they sold them and was going to ask them if they knew of any place in Chinatown to find them.

John, look up Kamei Restaurant Supply in San Francisco. It is a great store for all sorts of kitchen and dining stuff.

That thing is very cool and your cooking looks great as usual.

I wonder how well that would work with a paella pan?

Thanks for the tip Bob! The Mrs is now very interested in going there so I suspect we'll be shopping soon.

That thing is very cool and your cooking looks great as usual.

I wonder how well that would work with a paella pan?

Thx Paul! Good question. Perhaps a small paella pan using briquettes. I gave my smaller paella pan to my bro in law so all I have is a 18" pan which I'd think would get really hot in a small area. Not much control available on heat here:hot & hotter:laugh:

Take Marty, he needs something there as well.

I want the Japanese Konro grills they sell there, for Yakitori

Take Marty, he needs something there as well.

I want the Japanese Konro grills they sell there, for Yakitori

I'm not sure Marty would be allowed to go there with me. We recently went to Restaurant Depot & he went home with over $200 worth of meat and he might be grounded :becky:.

C83BA307-6B69-4160-833B-992587A9DD67-3319-00000639E68FF47C_zps488448ef.jpg

Last edited:
John, what did you set it on while you were using it? Looks like a metal table of some kind. How hot does the bottom get? Would you be afraid to put it on certain surfaces? I use my cast iron wok quite often on my Keg, but I love the idea of this dedicated little cooker! Very cool! :thumb:

John, what did you set it on while you were using it? Looks like a metal table of some kind. How hot does the bottom get? Would you be afraid to put it on certain surfaces? I use my cast iron wok quite often on my Keg, but I love the idea of this dedicated little cooker! Very cool! :thumb:

Tish, I've put it on a stainless table. I felt the table top after cooking on it and it was fairly warm but not too hot to touch. I had considered putting in on a piece of porcelain tile or raising it up on ceramic feet (from my Egg) but found it unnecessary on the metal table. I think I would raise it or protect the top of a plastic or maybe wood table but it might be overkill. I'll try to remember to get a temp reading off the bottom using my IR gun on next use.

I have seen pictures of them being used on wooden carts all over Asia, but, more often, they are places on the ground and used. I suspect this is more for stability than fire prevention. The Japanese version is designed for use on wooden tables. The ceramic bottom is more than adequate for shielding the heat.

No problem SmokyWoodturner.

Thanks everyone for compliments on the food & little cooker!

Back