Royal Turn in Boxes

I SWEAR, I will NEVER do a parsley box... NEVER!!!

And, I agree with Sled (yeah, crazy)... I think chicken should look like chicken...

well you will never without one........lol
just joking michelle, its refreshing to hear things like that from someone that takes home as much hardware as you guys regularly do

well you will never without one........lol
just joking michelle, its refreshing to hear things like that from someone that takes home as much hardware as you guys regularly do
When you gonna post pics from that fancy camera of yours?

Hmmm, honey it is.

One more question, do you guys find that glazed or unglazed seem to score higher as a whole category? In other words, might a judge score unglazed higher since the honey isn't at the party and they can better gauge the taste of the meat, smoke and rub without having to get passed the flavor of the glaze? I'm assuming glaze is also there for points in appearance too? Interesting.

Thanks

Hmmm, honey it is.

One more question, do you guys find that glazed or unglazed seem to score higher as a whole category? In other words, might a judge score unglazed higher since the honey isn't at the party and they can better gauge the taste of the meat, smoke and rub without having to get passed the flavor of the glaze? I'm assuming glaze is also there for points in appearance too? Interesting.

Thanks

We have never used straight honey for a glaze. Not sure how that would turn out.

However we do use honey as an ingredient (among other things) to add to the sauce used to make a glaze. A glaze should add color and taste to the final product. We have always scored better when glazing ribs, for example.

So to answer you question - in my opinion, no a judge would not score higher for an entry sans glaze, as it is there to improve the final product in both taste and appearence.

We have never used straight honey for a glaze. Not sure how that would turn out.

However we do use honey as an ingredient (among other things) to add to the sauce used to make a glaze. A glaze should add color and taste to the final product. We have always scored better when glazing ribs, for example.

So to answer you question - in my opinion, no a judge would not score higher for an entry sans glaze, as it is there to improve the final product in both taste and appearence.
Sory that is what i meant i just did not expand on it. I did not mean straight up honey

Thanks. Great info, tips, and insight. I'll be trying some thighs or something with a glaze like that soon.

What a great set of photos to compare and drool all over.:biggrin:
Thanks to all for sharing.:razz:

The word on the bottle says it all AWESOME.

I noticed that. Is that what you were telling me to spritz my pork with in Blue Springs?

BTW Paul, Todd let me peak inside his box that day - of course, I had to show him mine.

I noticed that. Is that what you were telling me to spritz my pork with in Blue Springs?

BTW Paul, Todd let me peak inside his box that day - of course, I had to show him mine.

I think that's all WE need to know about you two playing doctor:eek:

heres a few of ours.. others are still in the camera. Not sure of the specific appearance scores, but none got trashed.

invitational chicken
IMG_1137.jpg
That is some damn fine 13th place chicken there. Brings a tear to my eye:cry:

We took 5th overall in the sides... here are the taters:

taters.jpeg

Chris, my table judged those taters. I was table captain and got to have two of them. They were outstanding. Do you mind teeling how you did those or is it a secret? You can PM if you want, would really like to know.

I also got to meet you Saturday. I have the BW competitor I was going to lend your team.

Thanks
Ralph

Hey Ralph... don't know the exact recipe but its, shredded peeled russets, stuffed with velvetta and blue cheese. Dusted in rice flour and then deep fried at 325* until golden brown and sprinkled with sea salt.

Chris, my table judged those taters. I was table captain and got to have two of them. They were outstanding. Do you mind teeling how you did those or is it a secret? You can PM if you want, would really like to know.

I also got to meet you Saturday. I have the BW competitor I was going to lend your team.

Thanks
Ralph

Back