Firebox Baffles Open or Sealed ?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Here is a firebox we tac welded to experiment. The left baffle will be permanent and the right will be adjustable. What are your thoughts on boxing the open ends of the baffles, or should they remain open as they are now? Thanks for any ideas!!!!!

Attachments

• Bandera Firebox tac 2.JPG
    Bandera Firebox tac 2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 81
Here is a firebox we tac welded to experiment. The left baffle will be permanent and the right will be adjustable. What are your thoughts on boxing the open ends of the baffles, or should they remain open as they are now? Thanks for any ideas!!!!!

It should be slightly better for the ends not to be connected, to prevent a heat conduction path and subsequent short circuiting of the flame front across the baffles.

It should be slightly better for the ends not to be connected, to prevent a heat conduction path and subsequent short circuiting of the flame front across the baffles.

Most of them I see are open. I was curious as to why because I simply don't know. That makes sence. Thanks.

I wouldnt think it will make that much difference. Maybe the ones you see built from other sources took a long piece of metal and bent it into a U.

Maybe Spice will chime in on this. I have one of his baskets for my BSKD and it has two completely removable baffles that are solid across with an air gap built into each one. I don't have a problem with the slow ignition of the coals and with them being removable, I can pull them out and rake the coals to the front of the firebasket, reinstall the baffles and refill with unlit charcoal and chunks.

Didn't know what I was doing so just started playing around with the firebasket. I would now buy Spice's basket since they have already done the engineering and set up to fab it. It always looks too expensive until you try to do it yourself...I'm not too smart.

Dayum...that is some pretty welding! Makes me embarresed to have Neil post photos of my crap!

Back