Blackstone Pizza Oven Cooking

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
someone had an idea on the other thread to start a thred about cooking in the oven.

We can share recipes, usage, etc about the oven.

Here are a couple to get us started....

When making pizza dough, how long will it last in the fridge? Do you ever freeze?

I was reading on Amazon that some recommend using a rust bearing to help the motor.

Here is one of my favorite recipes. Last 2 to 10 days in the fridge.
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=18

I had a bearing for mine. I'm not sure what models will be coming in but the original had a short shaft going from the motor to the platter. I think newer versions have a longer shaft and may help. I didn't notice a difference with or without the bearing.

I didn't do any other mods, worked great out of the box.

I usually make the dough the same day and don't freeze. IIRC you can put the dough in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze it for even longer.

As far as the bearing, there is no need for it. Mine has been running fine right out of the box. You can always get it later if needed.

Here is one of my favorite recipes. Last 2 to 10 days in the fridge.
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=18

I had a bearing for mine. I'm not sure what models will be coming in but the original had a short shaft going from the motor to the platter. I think newer versions have a longer shaft and may help. I didn't notice a difference with or without the bearing.

I didn't do any other mods, worked great out of the box.

Good point. Mine is V2 but I remember some getting V1 when I bought mine 4 months ago. Most likely you guys will get the newer V2.

Good point. Mine is V2 but I remember some getting V1 when I bought mine 4 months ago. Most likely you guys will get the newer V2.
I had version one I bought in Oct 2013, it was 10 psi. I was hoping not get the stickers.
I see people complaining about that don't come off easy.

I had version one I bought in Oct 2013, it was 10 psi. I was hoping not get the stickers.
I see people complaining about that don't come off easy.

New ones are 5psi. Yep! The stickers are a pain in the....:biggrin1: I just said fark it

20141006_203309.jpg

I would love some good dough recipes. I was over at pizzamaking.com but there is soooo much info over there it kind of makes my head spin.

I would love some good dough recipes. I was over at pizzamaking.com but there is soooo much info over there it kind of makes my head spin.

If you check out the link I posted that popular recipes from pizza making.com.

My favorites are Gluten Boys, Scotts 123 is an easy and good and I like the Detroit one but I usually do that in the oven.

For a neo pie checkout TXCraig's Neapolitan Pizza Dough

My BS arrives 3/10!....just bookmarked above pages for quick recipe ideas....Looking forward to making PIZZA!!

Yeah... It's a bit like the Mother of All UDS threads here :-D

I'm far from an expert on my BS, but I've really enjoyed the pizza we've made with it. I suck at forming the dough, but the pizzas still taste good.

I have not bought Caputo flour yet. I plan on going that once the weather warms up and I feel like playing outside :-D I've been using Zippylips fast rise dough and it works well. I've had the best results at a stone temp of 700 degrees with that dough.

If you guys don't have an IR thermometer yet, get one. You can't go by the dial thermometer on the BS. Also, a steel peel is pretty much an essential for rotating the pizza on the stone and taking it out of the oven. It's hot enough in there to burn a wooden peel. I still use my wooden peel to build the pizza and launch it but then I grab the steel one.

Yeah... It's a bit like the Mother of All UDS threads here :-D

I'm far from an expert on my BS, but I've really enjoyed the pizza we've made with it. I suck at forming the dough, but the pizzas still taste good.

I have not bought Caputo flour yet. I plan on going that once the weather warms up and I feel like playing outside :-D I've been using Zippylips fast rise dough and it works well. I've had the best results at a stone temp of 700 degrees with that dough.

If you guys don't have an IR thermometer yet, get one. You can't go by the dial thermometer on the BS. Also, a steel peel is pretty much an essential for rotating the pizza on the stone and taking it out of the oven. It's hot enough in there to burn a wooden peel. I still use my wooden peel to build the pizza and launch it but then I grab the steel one.

Glad I got a great sale!....seems like the "accessories" really add up!....any recommendations on IR thermo?

Glad I got a great sale!....seems like the "accessories" really add up!....any recommendations on IR thermo?

It's always the accessories that kill you :-D

I like Thermoworks products so I bought one from them...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html

For what we are doing with it I think any IR thermo that can read at least 900 degrees (f) would do fine.

This is a current slickdeal on Amazon:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer-Orange/dp/B00JCFPODM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425573656&sr=8-1&keywords=nubee+non+contact"]Amazon.com: Nubee Non Contact Infrared IR Thermometer, Orange/Black: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dFLRgWBWL.@@AMEPARAM@@51dFLRgWBWL[/ame]

Use coupon code: NGUN7OFF To bring the price down to $12.88

Last edited:
Thanks Ron and Steve....I love thermoworks products but went with the Amazon deal as this thermo measures a bit over 900 degrees and GREAT price....$12.88 shipped!

This code did not work for me???

Back