WSM Maiden Voyage

N

nonthink

Well I’m on my maiden voyage with my WSM.
On the menu is a ½ picnic (pulled pork), 4 riblets, and a basic fattie. (rub, no stuffing)
As expected it ran hot @ 270ish for the 1st run, but 3 hrs. later it’s maintaining @ 240ish. w/ all bottom vents closed, and the top fully open.
I’m going w/ water in the pan for this 1st time. I may switch to sand for the next run.
I also filled the charcoal basket up to capacity just to see what she can do.
100_0218.jpg

100_0219.jpg

It’s about 4 hrs. in and the temp. of the picnic is @ 158.

Stay tuned for updated. :grin:

You popped your cherry!!! Congrats and welocme to the WSM family

Speaking of cherry. I need to stop by Willie's and snag some.

Congrats!

Next time try fewer lit coals. That may be part of the reason it started out hot.

That WSM looks so clean . . . inside and out.
Now you are going to have a lot of fun, once you get the "characteristics" of your cooker down. I love mine

nonthink and others. For your next burn try this. Place a 1 lb coffee can with BOTH ends cut out in the center of the charcoal grate. Pour in your unlit charcoal. Start a small amount of charcoal in the chimney, pour into the 1 pound can then remove the 1 lb can with pliers. You will get a perfectly controled fire every time.

NUTZ

Nice...I love a mean clean smokin' machine! :biggrin: Congrats on your first smoke.

You will get a perfectly controled fire every time.

NUTZ

What's the point in starting a fire if it's going to be controlled!

Chris,
Welcome to the club. Next time though, remember to put all of the coals, "K" side up!

What time are you serving?

Well, I've already removed and ate half of the fatty.

The riblets have been unfoiled and will be removed soon
and the picnic just went into the foil.

Congrats!

Next time try fewer lit coals. That may be part of the reason it started out hot.

I beleave it started out hot because it was the 1st time I used it. The inside is too shiny and clean causing heat to reflect inward, according to the guys at TVWB

nonthink and others. For your next burn try this. Place a 1 lb coffee can with BOTH ends cut out in the center of the charcoal grate. Pour in your unlit charcoal. Start a small amount of charcoal in the chimney, pour into the 1 pound can then remove the 1 lb can with pliers. You will get a perfectly controled fire every time.

NUTZ

While this would certainly provide a more controlled burn (inside to outside rather than top to bottom), this will present a significant risk for VOC contamination.

VOCs are the Volatile Organic Compounds that are released while charcoal (and raw wood) is initially burned.

They can add a harsh flavor to your food and cause cancer.

The Minion method (dump lit on raw from the top) burns up these VOCs before they can escape upwards.

Also, the can may have tin or other metals that will also get released. Not to tasty or healthy.

The 4 riblets have been removed and placed into my tummy.
Yuuuuuummy

While this would certainly provide a more controlled burn (inside to outside rather than top to bottom), this will present a significant risk for VOC contamination.

VOCs are the Volatile Organic Compounds that are released while charcoal (and raw wood) is initially burned.

They can add a harsh flavor to your food and cause cancer.

The Minion method (dump lit on raw from the top) burns up these VOCs before they can escape upwards.

Also, the can may have tin or other metals that will also get released. Not to tasty or healthy.

Someone did a little reserch

Finished products
100_0220.jpg

Riblits (gone)
100_0222.jpg

Pulled pork
100_0223.jpg

Not my best. It was a little dry until I added the juices from the foil.
100_0224.jpg

Also all I had was hickory.
I need to get my hands on some cherry, or apple.

What I do is dump the lit coals, set down chimney, grab pliers & remove can in about 30 to 45 seconds. Will that be enough time for the can to start releasing any bad chit?

Nice looking food off of that WSM. What did you think for your first run?

What I do is dump the lit coals, set down chimney, grab pliers & remove can in about 30 to 45 seconds. Will that be enough time for the can to start releasing any bad chit?
You're fine. I've seen guys do it this way, I like spreading the coals over the top myself, but that's just me.

Back