Butt Done Early, Need Suggestions

xinunix

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
We have a party tonight that starts at 7pm. I smoked a 8 lb. butt on my weber performer, started very early this morning and it looks like it will be done in the next hour or so (12:30 pm). I don't think I can hold it in a faux cambro for 6 hours. How long can I hold it, and when I hit that point, if I go ahead and pull it, should I put it in the fridge and then rewarm prior to the party? Open to any suggestions, want to serve warm and moist Q at the party if at all possible.

Thanks for your help!

A bone in pork butt will hold for hours if wrapped in foiled, put into a pre heated cooler (put hot water in the cooler then drain it out) and extra space taken up by towels.

If you dont want to do it that way, pan and foil tightly and put in an oven at 200 degrees.

Wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with some towels. It will stay too hot to pull for 6 to 8 hours no problem. I would skip the cooler preheat, it won't matter.

Cool, thanks, just wasn't sure if I could hold it that long in a cooler with towels. Sounds like 6 hours will be ok...

Yep, I've seen butts hold for more than 7 hours in a cooler and we even temped em after 7 hours and they were still above 160.

Back