Freezing Chicken

Shady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to arrive on Friday for Sunday turn ins and I like to prep chicken @ home. Does anyone freeze chicken and thaw on site?

When I prep chicken I usually do about 30 at a time and try to get 3 groups of ten that are about the same size. I then freeze and use for comps when I need them. keith

I freeze and start thawing in the fridge a couple of days prior to the contest.

When I prep chicken I usually do about 30 at a time and try to get 3 groups of ten that are about the same size. I then freeze and use for comps when I need them. keith

This. That way any time you need you can just pull your chicken right there.

I've done frozen and fresh and don't see much of a difference. I actually prefer frozen as I can get it done ahead of time and I don't have to worry about fresh chicken sitting for 2-3 days. But, I'm cooking fresh this weekend as I couldn't get it done ahead of time like I planned. But, everything else this week is frozen.

I do it almost all of the time unless I'm rushing to get comp meat..my theory is you stop it from going bad which can happen in a matter of a day or two depending on how fresh it is..also it's not a nice ribeye that we are grilling with just salt and pepper..IMO we do so much to it that in the end you couldn't tell the difference between fresh and frozen.

First, let me state, I HATE CHICKEN!

Because of this, I start trimming in March an put it in the deep freezer until needed. The judges didn't seem to mind, got 1st a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I always freeze. Even if they have a long date on them. I have not noticed any difference. If anything, i always score higher with frozen.

Shady- We get a case, use 25-30 of them immediately and then freeze the rest. I do not trim before freezing but I do separate them into groups of 25-30. I usually get 3-4 comps out of a case depending on how many throw aways there are. I trim/cook our chicken and I actually have a preference for the frozen ones over the fresh.

If you prep Thursday night, put the chicken in a zip lock bag and keep it packed in ice, you should be fine. You'll just need to add ice occasionally. I wouldn't want to let it sit more than a couple of days in a frig - not cold enough. I use a small cooler just for chicken (prevents cross contamination) and keep it filled with ice. If you prep many days ahead, freezing is fine.

Back