• 48 hours before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other-Specify

Votes: 6 6.2%

• Total voters

Pitbull

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm curious how long you think it takes to get the best flavor.
biggrin5.gif

As for me, I generally rub the night before and then add a little rub in the morning before I put it on the pit.

I take the brisket out of the fridge, light the pit, come back in and slather brisket with mustard and apply the rub, then put the brisket on the smoker, which by this time is usually between 120* and 140*

Right before it goes into the inferno. I simply can't believe that the solid particles that make up a rub can be absorbed into a solid piece of meat.

That's kind of a personal question that belongs more in Woodpile, isn't it?:p

Seriously though, I apply the rub right before it goes on the smoker...

I take the brisket out of the fridge, light the pit, come back in and slather brisket with mustard and apply the rub, then put the brisket on the smoker, which by this time is usually between 120* and 140*
Pretty much what I do. Except my brisket will sit with the rub on it a little longer, until the pit gets up to 220-250.

And I don't slather in mustard. :icon_sick

I rub right before it goes into the pit but then I use a little more salt in my rub.

Salt is a carrier of flavor. I too, just before I lay it on. Of course I don't have the space to put 10-15 briskets in a fridge. Neither do Smittys, kreuz, muellers, angelos, zion, salt lick, mikeskas, blacks, Ta'yor Cafe Southside Market, Elgin. Neither did our forefathers.

I specifically do not actually like the taste of marinated brisket. I have done an overnight rubb but I would have to adjust my rubb seasonings to make it work.

I rub just before putting on the pit. I have grown to where I prefer the meat to taste like the best MEAT it can be, and the bark to be there for flavor and added texture. Not to alter the taste of the meat to the spices I am using in the bark. It's a personal thing, and others preferences vary.

Like most of the others..right before while the smoker is heating up.

That's the way I was told to do it the first time, and have really never tried any other way.
The same goes for butt and ribs.

Whenever I have time. Usually right before but could be up to a couple of hours before.

Depending on the seasoning I'm using, the night before up to right before it goes in to cook.

I use a wet rub. So about 3-4 hours before so it soaks in al ittle and gets pasty.

Dont cook much brisket except at competitions. After having the meat inspected, will usually inject and rub, then vac seal. Usually around 4-6 pm, so it is about 4-6 hours before it goes on pit.

I do it the night before but it's only because I find it easier to do. Has nothing to do with the taste/flavor.

Back