Carolina Shrimp & Grits

Jonny Rotisserie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This week’s Throwdown category is "Deep South". I considered grilling up a hot dog or a McRib or something and claiming terroir since I was going to be cooking it in the Deep South, but then I thought that would be a poor reflection on my southern roots. So I endeavored instead to create one of the most classic deep south dishes of all time: shrimp & grits.

I started out by roasting garlic. Once that was ready to squeeze out, I mixed it with the shrimp. The shrimp were marinated in butter, lemon, Cajun spices, saffron, Turkish paprika and black pepper.

Here are the grits and the peeled, roasted garlic:
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG

I have yet to get a Dutch oven, so I just threw the yellow stone-ground grits in a pot on the coals of my fancy new fire pit. I was using good ol’ southern hickory and pecan wood.
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG

Once those were on their way, I combined the shrimp and roasted garlic in one Spitmate basket and I filled a second Spitmate with…wait for it….collard greens and fat back! I also tried putting some of the shrimp on the Squeezeloc skewers to see if it made any difference.

Once the shrimp was ready, I combined it and the roasted garlic plus some grated cheddar and jack cheese in with the grits. Time to eat!
IMG_1329.JPG

The view is Lake Murray, in the heart of South Carolina. I didn’t have any fresh mint handy to make a real mint julep, so instead I decided to serve my dish with Coberg eggnog (please do not anyone attempt to claim that there is a better eggnog in America. There isn’t.) in a Carolina Gamecock cup to celebrate USC going to the SEC title game for the first time ever.

Deep South enough?

Here’s my entry pic:
IMG_1331.JPG

---Jonny Rotisserie

:shocked: Never EVER seen a better looking plate of grits!!! Looks awesome! I can almost smell it! :thumb:

Cheers

Man o man! I love shrimp and grits and could eat collards everyday. Yours look awesome.

Try making a mint julep with fresh basil. It ain't as real as one made with mint but tasty none the less.

Back