Does this drum look unlined to you?

Toronto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As the title suggest: Does this drum look unlined to you?

$T2eC16d,!)!E9s2fDH+DBRVETGO3rg~~48_35.JPG

Also, has anyone had trouble with drums that didnt have ribs?

$T2eC16R,!zcE9s4g3IvWBRVESCg,0Q~~48_35.JPG

Ribless drums are fine I have one myself. It looks like a liner or the rust inhibitor. Both burn out easy imo. Burn with a weed burner or good fire and use wire brush on a grinder or drill to sand it down well.

The goldish color is lining.

I have seen uds's without the ribs. As long as you measure right you should be fine without the ribs.

Looks unlined to me, but hard to tell for sure.
The linings that I've seen usually have a texture to them and aren't real smooth. Yours looks smooth. Does it just have an "oily" coating?
The thing that tells me it's not lined is the fact that you can see the seam on the right side of the first photo. I don't think you'd be able to see that seam if it were lined.
Of course.....I could be wrong.

Any idea what was stored in the drum? That may help determining if it is lined or not. Most "food safe" drums that hold food or things like that are lined to protect the food.

My drum doesn't have ribs and I've not had any issues. It does have a slightly thicker wall than typical 55 gal drums that I've seen that DO have the ribs, but still..... I think the ribs are just there to prevent buckling and denting and add rigidity to the drum.

Thats my understanding as well, the ribs are to add strength and rigidity but if other brethren have no issues I shouldnt either. I thought it was lined as well since it was a golden color and not the typical grey metal, good eye about the seam. Considering we can see the seam the lining/coating isnt that thick and should be easily burned off I think.

Thanks for the input guys.

Looking at it again it looks just like mine did...it takes a good wire brushing but it isn't hard to do.

If it IS lined, then putting a torch or wire wheel or something to it will cause it to break or peel away. That should tell you. If you just see sparks or raw metal after burning or grinding, you're in the clear.

I say if you have to ask...

it isn't worth cooking food in. My $.02.

It's perfectly fine for cooking food in it. Just give 'er a good burn out after drilling intake holes, and you'll be fine. The drum looks like it has a rust inhibitor coating which is cake to remove compared to the resin liners.

Many brethren have even removed the dreaded tan liner and cooked in it but risk tolerance is always going to be up to the individual.

Im more along the lines of "If I didnt ask I shouldnt cook in it".

I think it would be less healthy to eat fast food twice a month..

I have the same drum that I made a UDS out of two years ago. I sanded out the liner. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
I actually prefer no ribs. Cleaner look and provides the opportunity to put in a door without having to work around ribs.
I have a second drum just like it that I intend to build with a door. Just need to find the time...

It looks like no liner...scrape it with a wired brush or some sandpaper to see if it comes off easily.
Drum is perPhect to cook in...I don't see no reason why not.

I just built two using a barrel just like that for friends. That appears to just be the rust inhibitor, which all have (if they aren't otherwise lined). A burnout will make it so that you can just sand the soot out. My personal uds has ribs, but these last two without ribs look sharper. The ribs are there so that fully loaded (500 lbs) drums can be laid on their sides and rolled to transport them. The lack of them will not cause you any issues at all. Some companies need them without ribs for removing the product. For example, some adhesive comes in straight sided barrels. The company turns them upside down, lightly heats the product, and the chunk of whatever is in there cleanly comes out.
Hope this helps.

Back