First Blind Cook. 12lbs of Pork Butt. Live!

NY Pork Junkie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Pork butt was $0.79 a pound when I went grocery shopping today. I exercised restraint, and purchased two modest 6 pounders. That's normal right???

The only problem is that I gave my only remote thermometer/probe setup to my Father who visited from Maine last weekend. All I have to go by is my thermopop so I have no idea where temps are running in the PBC. No matter, it hasn't let me down yet!

I cut them into 4 separate roasts so that I could up the surface area of rub, and to get the ratio of hook to meat a bit higher (don't want to lose one in the coals!). I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, but it's all in the name of science.

Meat went on at 4:30pm EST. Here goes nothing... :razz:

odsP1Bl.jpg

i0CuQlZ.jpg

jVR6sv1.jpg

hVJBDfs.jpg

z8lQH35.jpg

zW580uB.jpg

Wow those are going to good.

Lots of bark in your future you have...

If ever there was a meat intended to be cooked "blind" and still be almost guaranteed to wow everyone at mealtime, it is pork butt.

We to have started cutting them into pieces, so as to have more bark. I really want to try a barrel cooker.

I'm using a bit of applewood that I picked up when we took the kids apple picking last weekend.

Progress Update: I took them off to foil at 8:00pm. My thermopop had a range of temps of 160-175 for the three that remained on the PBC. These things have bark like a mastiff! I won't know if that's good or bad for an hour or two I guess...

dIczmEG.jpg

Back