• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

hot wings?

dano

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody willing to give up some good recipes/techniques for wings?
Have been having trouble getting the skin to be crispy without deep frying.
Thanks!

I doubt anything can ever truly replicate deep frying, but I have been grilling wings and tossing them in sauce with good results. I actually like the char you get with grilling and it still gets them crispy. Not the same crispy as deep frying, but crispy.

it's not BBQ, but here is my recipe for a baked wing.

Preheat oven to 425 and put the rake up to top. Take a package of chicken wings and spread them out on a large cookie sheet. Sprinkle them with some Adobo. then take Frank's Red Hot and give each wing piece a good shot / squirt. Bake them for 20 minutes. Take them out of the oven, turn each one with tongs and hit the other side of each one with Frank's Red Hot and put them back in for another 20 minutes. take them out again and flip them with the tongs after the 2nd 20 minute stint...do not ad Frank's this time. Put them back in for another 20. Basically, after an hour in the oven you end up with what I think are some great tasting wings! Do not add salt at ALL as you will find the Frank's will leave them quite salty as it cooks off. They end up being really crispy and with great hot wing flavor with no deep frying. We never bother to break out the fry-o-later anymore as we all prefer these.

Here are my wings - smoked, not fried.

IMAG0561.jpg

Recipe found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143447

First I usually cut my wings down to drums and flaps. Then I season them with seasoned salt, pepper and paprika(that way you're seasoning the meat and not relying on the sauce for seasoning). I then cook them indirect at 300-350deg. I'll also spritz them with water mixed with liquid smoke, worshy and a little cider vinegar. Then about 10-15minutes before you're ready to take them off the grill I'll brush them with my special hot sauce mixture of Franks Red Hot, butter, garlic powder and cajun seasoning. If I want them extra hot I'll add some sriracha sauce too.

Not here's the trick to good sauced wings on the grill. Brush the wings on one side with the hot sauce mixture then close the grill cover for about 2-3 minutes. Open the grill and brush again "on the same side" with the hot sauce mixture. Do not turn wings over yet! Cover grill for another 2-3 minutes. Now uncover the grill, brush wings again on the same side with hot sauce then turn wings over and brush on the other side with hot sauce then cover for 1 minute.

Uncover the grill, take the wings off and get ready to sweat and grin.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 176
I cook mine indirect with a split fire, wings in the middle, about 400F for an hour to an hour and 10 minutes on my Performer. I get nice crispy skin and then hit them with the sauce before eating. Sometimes I season them with McCormick garlic and herb and cook them that way and still add the hot sauce. When I use Kingsford, I just let it rip wide open and the temp is usually right at 400, no fuss, no muss. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :mrgreen:

I cook mine indirect with a split fire, wings in the middle, about 400F for an hour to an hour and 10 minutes on my Performer. I get nice crispy skin and then hit them with the sauce before eating. Sometimes I season them with McCormick garlic and herb and cook them that way and still add the hot sauce. When I use Kingsford, I just let it rip wide open and the temp is usually right at 400, no fuss, no muss. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :mrgreen:

I agree with Churrasqueiro Bob. I do various rubs and or sauces but I cook the wings exactly the same way on my Mastertouch Weber kettle. After I sauce the 90 percent done wings I put back on the grill with high heat indirect for 10-15 minutes to set the sauce. The way I see it, the high heat cook quickly renders the fat, creating a little space between meat and skin, then the skin crisps. I also use a homemade "hover grill" with a smokey joe grate and bolts and washers. This doubles my indirect cooking space so I can cook two family packs of wings on one kettle. If I am having a party I can run two kettles with the extra grates and put out quite a spread of wings.

I smoke my wings, too. Marinate in Frank's Red Hot as long as I can, let 'em drip dry on a wire rack, then roll them in seasoned flour. I smoke them at 250° - 275° for two hours, turning once. I don't normally sauce them but you certainly can, with good results. They're not quite as crispy as deep-fried wings, but they're a lot less messy and they taste right fine.

Big fan of the orange sriracha wings I first learned of here.

1 18 oz.jar orange marmalade
1/3 cup each of the following
brown sugar, sriracha hot sauce, and honey.

Heat marmalade in a saucepan until just simmering. Add other ingredients, and stir until well mixed.

Grill wings indirect, basting with the sauce. If desired, you can finish them direct to make them a bit crispier

note: this tastes pretty spicy, but some, no, a lot of the heat is lost in the cooking process. If you like a spicier wing, you could dunk the wings in hot sauce first, before throwing on the cooker, or just up the sriracha to your taste

My recipe is pretty much what lowbass has there, I also rub with (let the beatings begin) Famous Dave's Chickn' Wing seasoning. I bump the heat with cayenne and ground ghost chiles. If that's too hot for everyone then more for me. Oh and I smoke them a bit over some pecan. I think I have my dinner for tomorrow.

man, a lot of good ideas here for chkn wangs! i just cut mine to drums and flaps and season with mad hunky. cook indirect at about 275-300 for a couple hours. i sauce em the last 20 minutes or so. then i pull em and finish em on direct heat for a few minutes per side to crisp the skin up. pretty eash and they come out tasty!

1CF02BD8-086C-4C62-86EF-BB951CB72247-4213-000004B013390488.jpg

2B612AD7-A754-43BC-B6DE-A47F3BCBF40F-8853-0000090036B2BF6B_zps001dbca0.jpg

Marinate them in the Cornell Chicken recipe for about 2 hours and then sprinkle them with your favorite dry rub!

Gonna have to try that Cornell marinade on the next batch. Found the recipe and sent it to my wife already.

Back