• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holding Beef

worthsmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started doing chopped chuck roll for roadside vending and events. I am having trouble holding it for more than an hour in my steam table without it drying out, but at the same time sheen of grease and tasting "gamey". I have a Duke 4 well and started using half pans with a water pan under, thinking this would help. It seems to keep a bit longer, then just turns bad pretty quick after an hour. I take it to 165 then hold around 140. I keep my replacement beef in my holding cabinet and it comes out perfect. I have no trouble with pork.

What am I doing wrong? Is this just the way beef is? Any tips or tricks? I can't keep throwing the bad stuff out losing money!!!

Thanks,
Tyler

Cook that chuck roll till it falls apart as it's FULL of collagen and connective tissue (sheen of grease). Pull it with bear paws and keep it warm in a solution of beef broth, rub and sauce (mostly broth). It works, Trust me.

Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?

Some (most) meats don't do well in steam tables. I find pork to go faster than beef usually. What are you using for a holding cabinet?

Well I am just the opposite, seems like I have better luck with pork. Maybe it's because it goes alot faster than the beef so it doesn't sit. I feel you have to have beef on the menu but I sell way more pork.

This is the cabinet I have http://www.winholt.com/ProductDetail.asp?productID=2567

I never try to hold anything that is less than well done. It's impossible for me to get it right. I serve rare pieces, but only as ready.

I also cook everything to done. I use the cabinet as part of my rotation.

When first starting out in the morning, (roadside vending) I will put beef and pork in the steam table about 1 hour before opening. It takes about that long meat to get to 165 with the water pan.

The heating cabinet is set at 170 and I put meat in from the fridge just before opening. It usually never gets to 165 as it warms at a slower pace. I just don't have to warm it from 38 to 165 on the steam table. It usually is around 120 when I need to use stock from the cabinet and only takes minutes for it to reach 165 since the water pan is already hot at this point.

I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.

I don't think 165 is hot enough for a chuck roll. I think if you render the grease out more your oilslick will go away. Go to 200 IMHO.

I do take the chuck roll to around 210 initially and it falls apart. (I cook hot and fast) I setup a couple days a week so I cook beef and pork for that week the day before my first vending, then refrigerate it in 4 lb increments. I do use some of the drippings to help keep it moist, that is probably where the the grease is coming from. I will definitely try the broth route. I cook my ribs fresh every morning.

Back