Beans?

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I never eat beans but would like to start. Heres the thing...what to do with them besides chili. What types, recipes, canned, fresh etc?Any suggestions would be helpful

I think Great Northern beans are some of the best and most versitle beans there are. Add some ham or ham hocks for ham and bean soup. I'd bet there's a recipe in the roadmap for white chili using Great Northerns.

Todd

check this thread out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18108

there are some pretty good recipes here. Ive posted one a few posts down (charro beans) they are my favorite my fiance is hispanic and she is the one who taught me this recipe. she can make a killer pot of beans. the pics i posted were some i did over a camp fire in a dutch oven and stuck em the smoker to hold and pick up some smoke flavor.

Sledneck said:
I never eat beans but would like to start. Heres the thing...what to do with them besides chili. What types, recipes, canned, fresh etc?Any suggestions would be helpful

Ok, I'll be the first Texan to chime in here......BEANS DON't BELONG IN CHILI ANYWAY !:mrgreen:!!

My fav. is pinto beans....
I take a smoked hock, some chopped onion, a little thyme(very little), chopped garlic, chopped bell pepper, cumin pwdr, blk pepper ,mexene chili pwdr(too taste//I don't add much just a hint of chili pwdr) and cook in the crock pot overnight....add salt and blk pepper to taste..serve over rice doused with hot sauce, w/ jalapeno cornbread and a little side of yum yum!!!:mrgreen:
Another way I like em is to just simply cook them with the smoked hock and onion and jalapenos, salt at the endo to taste

edit: add blk pepper as well!!

I second that Tumped i forgot to add that in my post. No Beans in Chili!!! keep em simple..

FatDaddy said:

there are some pretty good recipes here. Ive posted one a few posts down (charro beans) they are my favorite my fiance is hispanic and she is the one who taught me this recipe. she can make a killer pot of beans. the pics i posted were some i did over a camp fire in a dutch oven and stuck em the smoker to hold and pick up some smoke flavor.

I can second FatDaddy's recipe.:-D I have made these twice in a big dutch oven in my pit. I put the oven with the lid off under a butt for a few hours to pick up smoke and fat.

I make a big ole pot of beans almost every weekend. Dried beans, great northern, pinto, navy, red, black or whatever else I can get. Soak overnight friday, rinse and put in crockpot saturday morning with some chopped onion, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover everything, plus an inch or so over the top, with water (I use chicken stock, probably use water if you're monitoring sodium).That's always my base to start with. The kitchen smells great on saturday. From there I get creative. Some of the additives could be diced japs, ham hocks, ham bone, leftover brisket or pulled pork, oregano, cumin, whatever suits my fancy for the day. Beans will take on most any flavor profile you choose to throw at them. Fun to experiment with.

Kevin said:
I make a big ole pot of beans almost every weekend. Dried beans, great northern, pinto, navy, red, black or whatever else I can get. Soak overnight friday, rinse and put in crockpot saturday morning with some chopped onion, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover everything, plus an inch or so over the top, with water (I use chicken stock, probably use water if you're monitoring sodium).That's always my base to start with. The kitchen smells great on saturday. From there I get creative. Some of the additives could be diced japs, ham hocks, ham bone, leftover brisket or pulled pork, oregano, cumin, whatever suits my fancy for the day. Beans will take on most any flavor profile you choose to throw at them. Fun to experiment with.
Note to self: Send Kevin some Beano.:shock: :razz: :lol:

Plowboy said:
I think Great Northern beans are some of the best and most versitle beans there are. Add some ham or ham hocks for ham and bean soup. I'd bet there's a recipe in the roadmap for white chili using Great Northerns.

Todd

Versatile is the word of the day when talking about Great Northerns. Guys, this is one of my favorites, it has some of everything I like. Don't let the pasta and beans mixed together freak you out. It's a great combo. Don't make this too thick, it's a soup not a stew.

Pasta and Bean Soup with Italian Meatballs

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
An Italian favorite, this recipe is a great change from some of the more traditional American bean dishes.

[/FONT]
About 4 to 6 servings.​

For the meatballs:​

1/2 lb. Italian sausage
1 egg
4 Tbsp. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 lb. ditalini (tiny, tube shaped pasta) (can use any tiny pasta like macaroni)​

For the beans:
1/2 lb. (1 ½ cups) dried Great Northern beans
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 lb. salt pork, diced fine (substitute ham shanks, hocks or cubed ham
along with a few slices of bacon)
1 large onion, chopped fine
5 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
4 celery stalks, including leaves, sliced thin
3 tsp. salt
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 16 oz. can Italian tomatoes, drained, tomatoes chopped coarsely
1 cup spinach
1 small zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley, preferably Italian
1/2 cup juliened carrot​

For garnish:Freshly grated Romano, Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

Rinse and pick over the dried beans, (pre soak if you like) then place in stockpot with 10 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer while preparing vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salt pork and cook, stirring frequently, until the fat melts and the meat begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to burn. Add the onion and garlic and sauté gently until the onion is golden. Add this mixture to the beans, along with the celery, salt, red and black pepper, oregano and basil. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours, checking frequently to make sure the liquid has not evaporated too much. There has to be enough liquid to cook the meatballs and pasta in the final cooking stage. Add more water if necessary. About 30 minutes before the soup is finished simmering, add the tomatoes and their juices, zucchini and the parsley.​

Combine the sausage with the egg and bread crumbs and roll into miniature balls. Add to the simmering soup. Add the carrot. About 20 minutes later, add the ditalini and the spinach, cook until tender. Serve with the grated cheese.​

My main side dish when catering is "Cowboy Beans" (Charro Beans). I use the GFS Pintos (large cans) , ham hocks, celery, onions, green peppers, Rotels, spices, stock. Easy as pie and they are a great accompaniment! Beans are a GREAT source of nutrition. Protien and fiber abound! If you told me I had to choose between meat or beans as a protien source for the rest of my life? I hate to admit it on this forum, but I'd choose beans! They are alse great with pasta and sauce (chick peas especially) , mashed (hummus, and refried beans), and yes..........IN CHILI!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

I like all beans but pinto beans are my favorite. I got a pot made yesterday with leftover ham, diced japs with some juice out of the jar, onion, salt, pepper. This time I added some diced potato and carrots to it late in the cook. Thats something that I do just every once in a while. The carrot is finely diced and I dont use much either.
Toot Toot.

I make several types of beans regularly, but my favorites are redbeans and rice, black beans and rice or black bean soup, and Kevin's beans. Below is the recipe for Kevin's beans, and a pic of the proper cooking method! :biggrin:

Kevin's Smoked Beans

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

mix in disposable aluminum roasting pan and place in the smoker for about 6 hours.

Attachments

• s Beans 1.jpg
    s Beans 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 123
thirdeye said:
Pasta and Bean Soup with Italian Meatballs

This just got put on the "to do" list. Looks great. Thanks.

I made some good Great Northerns this week. Soaked overnight and then simmered two smoked ham hocks in chicken stock (about 7 cups) and a Newcastle Brown Ale for an hour and added the beans, a Vidalia onion, a red bell pepper, 3 stalks of celery, 2 jalapenos, 3 garlic cloves (all chopped) and a little fresh thyme & rosemary and cooked for about 1 hour (until beans are just becoming tender). Pull ham hocks (and pull meat) and add a big bunch of chopped (well washed ) collard greens and let cook for about 1/2 hour longer until bean are completely cooked. I served with a green chile and aged cheddar cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet with honey-butter.

I make a very simple bean that is quite popular here as a side dish.
Great Northerns boiled with some dehydrated onion and chopped brisket.
Salt to taste, served with a small pat of butter.
Some folks try to flavor the bean. I prefer the flavor of the bean.

I have bean burrito's for dinner several nights a week. Take a large flour burrito shell, throw in a layer of beans (I take a can of black beans, rinse them and drain them but any beans will do), a layer of any kind of meat (leftover pulled pork, steak, chicken, kielbassa, whatever), some chopped onion, hot souce (I make a roastrd jalapeno salsa and always have a jar of that in the fridge), and some grated cheese (Mexican or taco kind). Nuke that bad boy in the micro for a minute or 2, then add some sour cream or salsa, roll it up, and enjoy. Healthy, quick, cheap, and oh-so tasty.

Beans

Soak alnight in white wine pick over the ones floating,next day pour off wine, put them in a chicken stock simmer with smoked turkey legs and wings season with fiesta bean seasoning (da bomb) when done serve with cheesey jap. corn bread........can you say yum:-D

bbqjoe said:
I make a very simple bean that is quite popular here as a side dish.
Great Northerns boiled with some dehydrated onion and chopped brisket.
Salt to taste, served with a small pat of butter.
Some folks try to flavor the bean. I prefer the flavor of the bean.

I do something very similar to this one as well......Great northerns or navy's with onion (I like a lot) chpped brisket,salt and pepp to taste, and I add a some of my bbq sauce as well. Mix with soaked beans and simmer for a couple hours finnish in smoker and viola...don't get 'em too dry though or you'll have mush!!
icon12.gif

edit: on second thought.....that sounds a lot like my baked bean recipie too.....hmmmm

FatDaddy said:

your recipe looks like the real deal. I will try it for sure. Thanks for posting again.

Red Beans and Rice are my favorites. Then there are the BBQ Beans with pork or brisket. I also like Lima or butter beans. Here's my recipe from The Survival Gourmet...

Put a 1lb bag of butter (lima) beans in a pot, taking care to remove any discolored beans or rocks. Add enough water to cover the beans with at least 1/2″ to spare. Put the pot over high heat and bring it to a rolling boil. When the water has boiled for 2 minutes, remove it from the heat and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid. Let sit for at least an hour. If you have any type of smoked meat (ham hock, turkey leg,etc.) , now is the time to thaw it out. If you don’t have any smoked meat, slice up a couple of sausage links and fry them up.
When the hour is up, pour all of the water from the beans and cover them with fresh water. This helps to get rid of the gas. Add your meat, (I used some pulled pork that I had leftover from the other day) 1 tbsp of Kosher salt, 1 tbsp Black pepper, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper. Stir well and simmer over a low heat for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The package says 1 1/2 hours but I find that you need to cook them longer to get that buttery texture. Stir occasionally to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
I eat these as a main dish but they work just as well as a side dish. Use your imagination!

Back