Home made Pastrami experiment

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, After Joe's post a week back I decided to make some homemade pastrami. I started with a 12lb brisket and cured it into a cornd beef which took 5-days, this was the hardest part because the damn thing looked/smelled AWESOME. On the smoking day (Yesterday) we put the bad boy on at 9am and it was done by 3p or 165 degree internal temp. Took it off the smoker and wrapped it in foil and let it set in the cold oven for 1-hour. The pictures attached are the results.
Ive used a corned beef from the store before, but after this experiment I will never do that again, besides why buy a 3-5 pound corned beef when you can do the same with a 10-15 lb brisket :-D Enjoy!!

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

Attachments

• PICT0125.JPG
    PICT0125.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 156
  • PICT0140.JPG
    PICT0140.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 162
... OK, looks terrific .... now I'm turned off on the packaged Costco corned beef. Please post some more detail on your 'brisket-to-corned beef' process ... especially for the 10-15 lb variety.

Great job!

Q_Egg said:
... OK, looks terrific .... now I'm turned off on the packaged Costco corned beef. Please post some more detail on your 'brisket-to-corned beef' process ... especially for the 10-15 lb variety.

Great job!

Thanks Q Egg, wish I could take credit for the receipe but I cant. Got it from Randy Q. you can find his receipe at:

http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm

All I can say is follow the receipe he gives exactly and the brisket turns out AWESOME. Thought my neighbor was going to mug me for the leftovers :-D

Bossman

.... terrific pics and instructions!

My woodworking neighbor knows I'm a smoking wood wh__e and he can always get some Q in trade.

Many thanks

Dang- that looks fantastic. I've never corned one myself, just used store-bought. NaCl overload mod.

I will try that myself. The ones from the store did come out very good, and sold like gangbusters!
The brine sounds so simple, somehow I thought there would be more to it.

Bossmanbbq said:
Well, After Joe's post a week back I decided to make some homemade pastrami. I started with a 12lb brisket and cured it into a cornd beef which took 5-days, this was the hardest part because the damn thing looked/smelled AWESOME. On the smoking day (Yesterday) we put the bad boy on at 9am and it was done by 3p or 165 degree internal temp. Took it off the smoker and wrapped it in foil and let it set in the cold oven for 1-hour. The pictures attached are the results.
Ive used a corned beef from the store before, but after this experiment I will never do that again, besides why buy a 3-5 pound corned beef when you can do the same with a 10-15 lb brisket :-D Enjoy!!

Bossman

Did you do the dry cure? I have had a 4.5 lb flat curing in the frige for three days. Man it smells good. It will go on the pit in the A.M. Any tips I need to know about?

Grumpy's Q said:
Did you do the dry cure? I have had a 4.5 lb flat curing in the frige for three days. Man it smells good. It will go on the pit in the A.M. Any tips I need to know about?

Mike, I did the brine injection and then did the dry cure. I would think with just the flat you could smoke it anytime. In the instructions it stated 3-5 days to cure I did the 5 days because I chose to cure a whole brisket. I also sprayed it once an hour with Dr.Pepper, gave it a real nice color.

Only other tips I would suggest is wait until it hits 165 degrees internal temp and then wrap that bad boy in foil and let it rest. Its not a beef brisket,so it doesnt take as long to smoke. All I can say is the time it took to cure and smoke were well worth the wait, only warning before hand, the smell is almost criminal, it drove us nuts all day waiting. :-D

Bossman

Awesome lookin' beef Bossman, great job!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and making me really hungry!!

Nice job....

Just need a fresh loaf of sliced rye bread and some spicy brown mustard to go along with it... just like it's served in the NYC kosher deli's...

looks fantastic
my wife loves pastrami i need to try this sometine soon

Here's my first crack at pastrami. I used a store bought corned beef, about 3 and 1/2 lbs. Soaked it for 24 hours, changing the water 3 times. Rubbed it up and sealed it in plastic wrap for 12 hours. The rub was 3 parts coarse cracked peppercorns, 2 parts ground coriander, and 1 part each garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. I smoked it for about an hour and a 1/2 per lb, maybe a little longer. Lesson learned; soak longer and change water more often. It was still pretty salty. That said, man was it good! Next time I'm thinking about doing it all from scratch. Oh, and I did 2 of these. Pastrami, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Attachments

• Pastrami 7-30-06 2.jpg
    Pastrami 7-30-06 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 100
bonehead said:
Here's my first crack at pastrami. I used a store bought corned beef, about 3 and 1/2 lbs. Soaked it for 24 hours, changing the water 3 times. Rubbed it up and sealed it in plastic wrap for 12 hours. The rub was 3 parts coarse cracked peppercorns, 2 parts ground coriander, and 1 part each garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. I smoked it for about an hour and a 1/2 per lb, maybe a little longer. Lesson learned; soak longer and change water more often. It was still pretty salty. That said, man was it good! Next time I'm thinking about doing it all from scratch. Oh, and I did 2 of these. Pastrami, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Very true Bonehead, if your using a corned beef you should probably soak it for 72-hours changing the water twice aday to get all the salt out, that said, doing it by scratch with a beef brisket was alot easier and to tell you the truth, the TASTE and SMELL were alot more incrediable then when I've done this with a store bought corned beef.

Bossman

BTW, I apologize for attempted thread hijacking. Those pictures of yours are fantastic, though, and I couldn't help myself.

To be honest, I was so excited about pastrami that I wanted to do it the easiest way possible so I could get it in my belly. At the time, store bought corned beef seemed easier. I realize now, after reading some more and rehashing what I did, that doing it from scratch with a beef brisket probably isn't any more time consuming.

bonehead said:
BTW, I apologize for attempted thread hijacking. Those pictures of yours are fantastic, though, and I couldn't help myself.

To be honest, I was so excited about pastrami that I wanted to do it the easiest way possible so I could get it in my belly. At the time, store bought corned beef seemed easier. I realize now, after reading some more and rehashing what I did, that doing it from scratch with a beef brisket probably isn't any more time consuming.

Hey no worries my brotha, enjoyed the pictures you posted and by no way do I feel you hijacked anything. When you do the beef brisket version let us know your results and if you agree with the analysis of the beef brisket version compared to the store bought corned beef.

Bossman

After reading that I have a reason to keep that ECB I was going to set out by the curb! Unlike MilitantSquatter I've been convinced to go with a horseradish/mayo combo with pastrami though.

Thanks for sharing!

Back