• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Alton brown Terra cotta smoker ?

D

dudz

I read this in a magazine about this smoker made from a hot plate and 2 terra cotta pots and now i want to build one. :confused::icon_bugeyed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

It got me interested because it if fairly simple and you can never have enough smokers. I love using my UDS (The be all end all of smokers), but I thought it would be something fun to try out.

I do have a few questions to others who have built these.

1. what hot plate do you use and where did you get it and how do you use it in the smoker?

2. Can use use a propane burner?

3. Any tips or mods?

4. do you get enough air flow from the bottom and does it matter if the thermometer blocks the hole in the top?

I do have a few questions to others who have built these.

1. what hot plate do you use and where did you get it and how do you use it in the smoker?
the one I use is just a cheap chefmate 1500 watt hotplate from RiteAid. just set it in the bottom with the cord running out the hole on the bottom of the pot. start with the hot plate on high
2. Can use use a propane burner?
don't know, probably
3. Any tips or mods?
instead of usuing a heavy duty pie pan I use an 8 inch aluminum skillet for the chips/chunks
4. do you get enough air flow from the bottom and does it matter if the thermometer blocks the hole in the top?
as long as the pot is off the ground plenty of air, the thermo on top doesn't hurt either.

hope this helps a little

Thanks...ive heard with the hot plate a lot of people have problems getting it up to temp and have problems adjusting it and taking it apart.

Haha. I must admit I built one too... a long, long time ago...

I got my hot plate at wallys world for under $10 but barely gets hot enough.
I used a cast iron wood chip smoking box from HD which worked really good.

I advise you to line the inside of the pot with foil or have a water pan to catch all the drippings as this is one big mess.

Also you can try different sized terracotta pots on top... get a matching one for beer can chicken... but even the flat lid leaves enough room for a 6 lbs butt...

use foil around the edges to seal the smoke leakes.

Good luck and when you get board go back to the UDS. It's far superior.

i have always wanted to try making his pork butt brine (and see if it affects the outcome much) but i never get around to it haha

Back