High-temp food handling gloves?

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to the cheap pair of "insulated" rubber gloves I bought off ebay. They are the standard black rubber "insulated food handling gloves" one can find for 10 bucks. They are extremely slippery, impossible to clean, and I think they stopped working because while handling this weekend's brisket, not only did my hands feel agonizingly hot, but the gloves actually made it ten times worse by continuing to burn my hands until I managed to yank them off. :mmph:

What do y'all use for handling hot food on the pit? I really need to upgrade from these pieces of junk.

I use leather welding gloves. They get a little messy over time, but they work.

I use leather welding gloves. They get a little messy over time, but they work.

Hmmm, you might have a point. I use leather welding gloves to handle my splits (I hate using pokers, tongs etc for woodhandling...I prefer just to pick the logs up with my hand). My only reservation would be them getting all dirty with food and the sanitary factor of reusing them. But honestly, I replace the welding gloves almost once a year anyhow because I am paranoid about them wearing out and giving my fool self a third degree burn on my hand/fingers because I insist on grabbing flaming logs. That might could work.

I use cheap cotton string gloves from Harbor Freight under their 7 mil powder free nitrile gloves. Toss the nitrile gloves after use. There are probably better choices, but this works for me.

This is exactly what I do as well, unless I'm grabbing a lit chimney. If so, then its a pair of welding gloves.

I use cheap cotton string gloves from Harbor Freight under their 7 mil powder free nitrile gloves. Toss the nitrile gloves after use. There are probably better choices, but this works for me.

This is how we do it for commercial cooks, very effective and economical plus it helps avoid cross contamination and the heavy duty cotton holds up to bleach washing well.

^^^This

I've got the cloth lined vinyl gloves, but like posted above they are junk. Once you get meat fat on them, they become like slippery ice and it's hard to hold stuff and a real pain to grab them with one glove to take the other off (plus they are stiff to move).

I've been using the brown Jersey gloves that usually come in sets of 5 pairs. Then like above, just use a XL nitrile glove over them (or XXL if you can find them). The thick brown jersey gloves give enough insulation to keep the heat from the meat from being too much to handle. Just toss the nitrile gloves when done and if the cotton gloves get funky, they can be tossed or washed (but the will shrink as it's cheap cotton). The cotton jersey gloves also keep your hands from getting so sweaty against the nitrile (to a point).

Another tip is sometimes I double layer the nitrile gloves if I know I'm going to need to take them off and still need to dive back in again shortly. Just strip off the top pair and a fresh clean pair is underneath (good when switching from raw meat prep to pulling some previously prepared and smoked meat off the smoker to cut/pull).

51jYcBTnuNL._SX425_.jpg

Thanks guys! Just ordered a 6 pack of those cotton gloves. I already have a 100 pack of the nitrile gloves at home so looks like i'm all set now!

Cotton gloves from menards or home depot, 10 for $10, vinyl gloves on hands and over the cotton gloves.

Looks like you already found a solution. I too had the big black rubber gloves...terrible.

Best is the cotton gloves under nitrile gloves. This allows for tons of insulation, i have shredded pork butt with just the cotton gloves and nitrile over. The cotton glove set up gives you great feel for tenderness too.

Another quick option is a moist dish towel. My recommendation though is snap the towel or wave it dry a bunch of times to get all the loose fabric off then wet it and ring it out so its just moist.

Last resort I have found if I need to grab something in an emergency and don’t have time to put on my gloves or have a towel around me, is to use the spritz bottle that’s usually by my smoker and squirt my hands a couple times to buy me a few seconds before feeling that burning feeling. (This is only as a last resort though.)

I just use dish towels (cheap, washable) for general handling instead of wasting a bunch of expensive gloves. I save the gloves for slicing only.

Cheap cotton pot holders work in a pinch. Cotton dish towel too- would not wet it tho'- the wet transfers heat too much. Doubt me? Reach in that 425 oven and grab a CI skillet full of cornbread with a wet dish towel and see. A 175 degree brisket will be a bit more friendly I suppose.

Doubt me? Reach in that 425 oven and grab a CI skillet full of cornbread with a wet dish towel and see.

Dang, that sounds painful. I'll take your word for it if you promise to take my word for it that you shouldn't use a filet knife when your hands are covered in oily marinade because you will accidentally drop that filet knife off the countertop and directly into your foot, where it sticks perfectly vertical and creates a solid half hour of wiping up bloody footprints, stopping the bleeding, and playing the "it looks like I need stitches but it should probably be ok...right? right?" game with your wife. Or...maybe that's just me. :icon_bugeyed :laugh:

I too use Jersey Brown cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over top.........

I use thinsulate gloves with Nitrile gloves over the top or cut gloves with Nitrile.

I bought some studded silicone gloves for my food handling, saw them on tv and thought Id give them a try because they were not expensive, they work good for food and do not get slippery; and a pair insulated gloves for general "hot work". Can't get the insulated wet because they will transfer the heat, but for general work they are good.

I also use the cotton gloves/nitrile gloves combo. I use 5mm nitrile because the 7mm are too stiff to get on and off.

Back