Time for a new Gasser - any thoughts?

One thing to consider. Current Weber gassers (maybe not Summit) are now made in China. I don't know if that matters, but worth mentioning.

Thanks for the replies all.

Did not really look at a Pellet as I have natural gas already outside, so it is super easy to just turn a knob and get started. Do not have to worry about power, getting out pellets, do I have enough pellets left, etc. I use my Egg when I want the real smoke/charcoal type flavor

Funny - and I am glad you all have good experiences - but online I did read some people with bad experiences with the Nexgrill/KitchenAid lines. I was even thinking of getting a Nexgrill just to last me another few years until I maybe re-do the entire outdoor kitchen area but the reviews I found scared me off.

For now I think I am going to hold tight and wait on my friend to get the e410. Savings are good and I know I'll be able to get support and warranty for a long time. Yes I am aware the new Genesis II line is made in China - that said their warranty is the same for the Genesis II vs the Summit line. Yes I wish Weber would keep more jobs in the US, but the other options I am looking at are not made in the US I believe so that does not really weigh in on my options.

Just my 2 cents. If gas/convenance is what you are after, I’d highly suggest you at least consider a large outdoor griddle. Way more versatile than a gas grill, and the food it produces is soooo good :) I currently cook on a large 6 burner Camp Chef griddle (FTG 900) and absolutely love it.

Looked hard and long for a new gasser. Had my heart set on the Weber Genesis II LX 410 or a Napoleon Prestige 500. Both are comparable in price, but the Napoleon just seemed to be better built.

End up with the Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 - stepped up a bit from the Prestige (looking back the Prestige would've been fine). I have been more than pleased with the cooking - even heat, very fast to temp and the sear station is independent and HOT!

And I am a Weber fan - I have a Weber 22" WSM, 2 burner Genesis (horizontal - old school) and 22" Gold Kettle.

Most importantly - get what you want and take your time. Purchases like these are for the long term.

Thanks for the replies all.

Did not really look at a Pellet as I have natural gas already outside, so it is super easy to just turn a knob and get started. Do not have to worry about power, getting out pellets, do I have enough pellets left, etc. I use my Egg when I want the real smoke/charcoal type flavor

Funny - and I am glad you all have good experiences - but online I did read some people with bad experiences with the Nexgrill/KitchenAid lines. I was even thinking of getting a Nexgrill just to last me another few years until I maybe re-do the entire outdoor kitchen area but the reviews I found scared me off.

For now I think I am going to hold tight and wait on my friend to get the e410. Savings are good and I know I'll be able to get support and warranty for a long time. Yes I am aware the new Genesis II line is made in China - that said their warranty is the same for the Genesis II vs the Summit line. Yes I wish Weber would keep more jobs in the US, but the other options I am looking at are not made in the US I believe so that does not really weigh in on my options.

I bought a "Kitchenaid" by Nexgrill about seven years ago. Nexgrill also made grills under the Jenn-Air brand for Lowe's at that time. Lot's of features for the money and all was good for the first two years, then one day I smelled plastic burning and my entire wiring harness was on fire. I could not get replacement parts and had to throw the whole thing away.

I’ve not had a gas grill (except WGA-gas) in 10-11 years. I’ve often thought of buying one of the Brickseek finds during closeout season. A two burner. My old Vermont Castings was a beauty. But I’ve never replaced it. I can start a chimney, then prep meat and be ready to cook with coals, chunks and splits quick enough. If I was going to get a gasser it wouldn’t be a high dollar Magazine Cover beauty. It’d probably be a Sears Outlet or drastically marked down big box closeout workhorse. Heat and meat only. But I’m not going to, I am just not in that big a hurry anymore.

I’ve not had a gas grill (except WGA-gas) in 10-11 years. I’ve often thought of buying one of the Brickseek finds during closeout season. A two burner. My old Vermont Castings was a beauty. But I’ve never replaced it. I can start a chimney, then prep meat and be ready to cook with coals, chunks and splits quick enough. If I was going to get a gasser it wouldn’t be a high dollar Magazine Cover beauty. It’d probably be a Sears Outlet or drastically marked down big box closeout workhorse. Heat and meat only. But I’m not going to, I am just not in that big a hurry anymore.

It is not always a "time" thing. Here in the Northeast we get a lot of rain and snow and crazy winds. And sometimes with an uncovered patio like I have getting a good fire started in the elements is a pain and not fun! Also I have a close family member who is very sensitive to "smoke" foods and cannot really eat anything cooked over a live fire. So when they come over I make sure I have the gasser ready to cook some of the food so they can enjoy too. Also sometimes my wife likes to do some grilling and she has zero interest in starting a fire.

That's the beauty of having a few tools at your disposal. Different strokes for different folks! If I lived in an area with 300+ nice days a year and I was just cooking for 1-2 people I'd be ok with a kettle. But when I host lots of people I need the space and different tools to do different jobs.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I got my Weber E-330 when we bought our house in 2011. It's still ticking fine. A little dirty, but . . . :p

I really wanted the sear burner, so I went up to the 330, which had the side burner too. I never use the side burner and rarely utilize the sear burner. I mean, it's okay, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra cost.

I do like the copper/brown color it came in, too. Way better than boring black.

If you pop across the border you would get a 35% discount on the dollar exchange alone!

I got my Weber E-330 when we bought our house in 2011. It's still ticking fine. A little dirty, but . . . :p

I really wanted the sear burner, so I went up to the 330, which had the side burner too. I never use the side burner and rarely utilize the sear burner. I mean, it's okay, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra cost.

I do like the copper/brown color it came in, too. Way better than boring black.

with you on the colors. I like black better than Stainless Steel, but Copper or Red are way better!

and thanks for the honest thoughts on the sear station and side burner. I think I am in your camp. going to save the coin and get the e410 when its in stock at my friend's place.

I have a 2003 era Weber Genesis that is still going strong and I grill on it at least once a week. The hinge for the hood rusted through around the 10 year mark and Weber sent me an entire new hood for free. Huge thumbs up to their customer service. I went ahead and refurbished a few smaller items like the gas igniter and also upgraded to some custom made stainless steel grates. The grates are similar in design to those found on the Summit series, but even more heavy duty (almost 10mm thick). Surprisingly, my original burners are still working great.

I agree that the side burner doesn't get much use. The only time I turn mine on is when I'm getting the WSM ready and need to light the charcoal chimney starter.

Searing burners are a must have in my opinion. I personally don't have one -- and it's my only regret with my grill -- but I've used them on other people's grill and they do a fantastic job with steaks. You aren't going to get a perfect crust on a gas grill without one. I guess this is less of a dealbreaker because you also have a BGE and get the job done there.

Held out, got the Weber e410
now time to doll up my old egg - put out another post looking at table/cart suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 32
I am a lifelong fan of waiting if you have to to end up with what you really want. The instant gratification stuff we've all grown used to is nice. I have found for this simpleton that waiting sometimes to get exactly what I really want is even better. YMMV

Back