• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

$150 a Cord For Fruit Wood?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I called a local grower and was told they have assorted fruit wood for $150.00 a cord. There may be others who have it cheaper but these guys are the first I called. They most likely have apple but not sure what else. Does that seem like a fair price?

Not sure how much a cord is, but I got 80lbs worth of red oak for 20 bucks this week.

That seems high for wood. If that is delivered and stacked and cut to your specifications then it might be a fair price, depending on area.
Since this is your first price, do a search in craigslist for wood, hardwood, smoking wood
and see what you may find. If you are patient you may find wood after a storm for free.
You signature says you burn pellets and gas. How much wood do you need?
jon

The cheapest I have found oak in my area is $175 for .5 cord, and that is just dumped in my front yard. It is typically closer to $250 delivered.

Yes that is a good price if it is a full cord of wood, a full cord is 4'x4'x8'. A face cord is 1/3rd of a full cord.

That's a really good price for a cord. I can't find even oak, or pecan for less than 200 around here, and in another month or so as the temps starts dropping it's more expensive. That's a good deal for apple. Jump on it.

Bob

Full cord, or face cord? It's a GREAT price for a full cord. Face cord, being smoking
wood, yeah, that's not a terrible price.

Full cord, or face cord? It's a GREAT price for a full cord. Face cord, being smoking
wood, yeah, that's not a terrible price.
I assume it's a full cord. I used to deliver firewood for my Grandpa. A 1/2 cord would full a long bed truck to heaping. So basically 2 full truck loads. My brother and son both have long bed pickups. We could fill them both in one trip. My brother is very tight and probably wouldn't go for it though.

jonboy: I have a Santa Maria and my son has an offset.

That would be a good price in my area. I pay 85.00 for a pickup load of Red Oak. I haul.

If that is the price for a full cord (4'x4'x8' or 128 cubic feet) it seems like a good price... almost too good?

In Houston, Craigslist prices seemed to be about $250ish for a full cord plus extra for delivery (probably doesn't include stacking).

That sounds like a good price. I know here in Colorado, I pay about $140 for a cord and that's pine. I did get one cord and a quarter last year for $140. Those are delivered and dumped prices. Rite about this time a year you can find some cheaper cords on CL.
So yeah, I would say thats a good price for some nice fruit smokin wood.:thumb:

A cord of wood is - wood stacked four feet high, four feet wide, and eight feet long. Its a lot of wood.

That sounds like a good price. I know here in Colorado, I pay about $140 for a cord and that's pine. I did get one cord and a quarter last year for $140. Those are delivered and dumped prices. Rite about this time a year you can find some cheaper cords on CL.
So yeah, I would say thats a good price for some nice fruit smokin wood.:thumb:

What do you use pine for?

I paid $120 + tax recently for 1/4 cord of kiln dried oak/cherry (bundled & delivered).

Excellent quality wood but at typical NY prices (aka high)

The price of wood varies widely. The cheapest I can get oak here is $180/face cord, dumped on the driveway in the off season (I just ordered 3). In two weeks the price jumps $50 (until April). I've seen plenty in the country for less than half that. If I could get it for $150, I'd jump on it! That is dirt cheap for here.

Find a tree guy. I worked for a tree service and would have to pay to dump wood when we cut trees down. There was one guy with a small BBQ joint that would ask us to give him a call when we were going to cut down certain types of trees (oak and hickory). He would come over with his pickup truck and load it full (for free). This saved us work and some money for the dumping fee. Maybe you could get this kind of connection with a few phone calls... but you have to be patient for the wood to cure.

Back