My Easter Cook

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did my largest cook yet this Easter. Made 3 racks of spares, 2 briskets, 4 butts, and 3 beef short ribs. I don't have my own smoker (yet), so I cooked on my father in-laws brick pit.

Here is the meat, ready to be trimmed and seasoned. In addition to this, I threw on another butt and brisket for my father in law.
PU63rsn.jpg

Here are my seasonings. Beef got S&P only. Pork got S,P,O,G,Cayenne, and Paprika.
LtYd5tR.jpg

Beef Shorts Trimmed and rubbed.
oZY9Mkl.jpg

Brisket Trimmed and Rubbed
ZQyBFny.jpg

Butt Trimmed and Rubbed
AMGdZUV.jpg

Meat on the smoker at 7PM. Temp bounced around from 225 to about 300 most of the time. I used whatever wood I had, which happened to be mosly oak, with some hickory towards the end due to running out of oak.
a7NSgoE.jpg

Midnight(ish) snack of short rib. I've never done short rib, and I really liked the results of this one. Don't think I'll do them very often, as I just don't think it's worth the price.
BmJc1PI.jpg

Ribs went on at 8am and came off around 1230pm. These might have been my favorite of the cook. Dry rub only, no wrapping.
NIS5FKY.jpg

NPxieaB.jpg

rLI4l3T.jpg

Brisket, 18 hours after being put on the smoker. I didn't have to wrap or anything. Came out great! This thing had a huge point, so I was quite happy!
kzUtubn.jpg

bI8V8oI.jpg

Pork butt came off after 17 hours. I did this one with dry rub only and wrapped in BP when the bark was how I wanted it. I liked the flavor, but I actually may like the results better when I foil after the bark is the color I want. I think overall, the butt needs the most work. Guess I have some experimenting to do!
eggaDoN.jpg

My only complaint from this cook is how slow my father in laws pit cooks. I think it just doesn't get good airflow out to the chimney. 18 hours even at 250-275 average temps for a 10 pound brisket. Oh well, it's still worth it. Thanks for looking!

Whoa! Nice. Fed an army, eh? :grin:

Well, not quite an army. More like 8-10 people. We sliced/pulled one of each type of meat (except ribs which we cut up 2 racks). Had tons of leftovers of those, which my father in law kept. 2 of the butts I cooked to give to coworkers. So I am left with 1 brisket, 1 butt, and 1 rack of ribs. That should last me a month or two!:thumb:

That looks great, I would love to see more pics of that brick pit too! :thumb:

Looks Pretty Good for a Guy with no Smoker........

I heard there is a Pit Builder or Two down your way......just what I heard

Also heard some thing called Kraigs List might have a few......

I heard there is a Pit Builder or Two down your way......just what I heard

Also heard some thing called Kraigs List might have a few......

I know, I know:rolleyes:. I have my eyes on lone star grillz 48" offset. I am just trying to hold off a few months until I pay off a couple car notes. Hopefully by mid-summer I'll have purchased it. I've been checking craigslist daily, but nothing so far that is exactly what I want.

Great cook! Everything looks excellent!

Back