Need Help in NC, The Big Ugly UDS needing some TLC

WombleNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK.... about a year or so ago I built one of the baddest UDS ever to be known.... lol. Excuse my humbleness:heh: Now after a year of use and some neglect in the weather she is looking a little bit ruff. I originally sanded down primed and painted and it looked great for about two months then you could see some rust popping through. Any body know of someone who would powder coat my baby in or around the central part of NC? Any ideas on price? ( it's and 85 gal UDS) and has anyone else done this and if so how does it hold up?

Thanks in advance!

If you are curious on what the baddest UDS looks like I have linked to the build thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169137

I originally enquired about powdercoating my barrel before building my UDS, and the powdercoaters told me that they wouldn't guarantee that the coating would hold up. Even if the temps never got above 350 degrees. I think they bake it at about 400. And while there are some higher temperature rated coatings available, the color choices were very very slim.

I eventually opted to use only high temperature paint on mine, and while it's not that old, I don't forsee any major problems with rust on this one. If rust does eventually start to take over, I can always burn/sand or otherwise remove the paint, and do it over again (although I would prefer not to).

Lowes had a good selection of high temp primer and paint, and from a rattle can, I think it came out fine. I've even done a higher temp burn in it with charcoal, and there hasn't been one single issue.

Just for reference, my 55 gallon drum was going to be 90 bucks at a minimum to powdercoat, and as much as 200 bucks. This was a a powdercoating place near Charlotte, I forget the name since I never went that route, and didn't use their services.

I'd be interested to hear if powdercoating WILL stand up to rigorous use on these though. Good luck.

High heat PC holds up GREAT! I got BBQ black done, it's the drum in my avatar. How far is Raleigh for you?

Quick Strip is in Haw River. They are closer to you. # is 336-578-0121. They will strip it for you and then you can start from scratch again. I don't recommend powder coat. Just go to the hardware store and get some high temp spray cans. If you do want powder coat, call Top Coat in Raleigh. They can strip it and coat it. # 919-787-0302

Last edited:
I powder coat all the smokers I make using the standard or non high heat type. My design uses firebricks and we've had no issues unless someone uses without the bricks. There are many qualities of coatings, just like paint. Some are better than others. Also confirm whether the gloss is to your liking. Commericail paint rarely offers a nice sheen. Total utilitarian, just a coating. We use many that mimic a metalic look and pops when in the sun. Ask around, but unless they sandblast and bake for the proper times along with offering the look you're after, keep looking. Steve.

Quick Strip is in Haw River. They are closer to you. # is 336-578-0121. They will strip it for you and then you can start from scratch again. I don't recommend powder coat. Just go to the hardware store and get some high temp spray cans. If you do want powder coat, call Top Coat in Raleigh. They can strip it and coat it. # 919-787-0302

Bobby just so you know I got mine powdercoated with high heat BBQ black and it's very durable. It's much more durable than any high heat paint that i've used.

High temp Rustolium spray bombs are cheap. Who cares how it looks its' how it cooks that matters. I think of mine as a closin time gal always hot & willin the more drinks she buys me the betta she looks.

My problem is I cant leave well enough alone. I work for a steel pipe company and get all the pipe I want for little or nothing. Sizes ranging from 4" to 48" in dia and .250" up in wall thickness. I am seriously thinking of building an offset. I love the UDS but I like to have a bit easier access to the food and coal basket without disassembly. Maybe I am just looking for another project to start. Now that I have vented.... this might be better address in a new thread .

My problem is I cant leave well enough alone. I work for a steel pipe company and get all the pipe I want for little or nothing. Sizes ranging from 4" to 48" in dia and .250" up in wall thickness. I am seriously thinking of building an offset. I love the UDS but I like to have a bit easier access to the food and coal basket without disassembly. Maybe I am just looking for another project to start. Now that I have vented.... this might be better address in a new thread .

You should build one! Hey they all have a purpose.

Back