Salmon on the Kamado Joe

bmoorhouse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking salmon on the KJ tonight, and I am planning on cooking direct without any planks.

Quick question, is it better to use the rack from the heat diffuser to raise the grate or to cook with the grate in the normal position?

I don't want to char the fish, but I am afraid raising it will extend the cook.

Thanks for the advice.

I always use the grate extender to raise it up further from the fire and closer to the dome and it's radiant heat. If you have the upper rack add-on, that can get it even further from the fire and closer to the dome. That is my preferred way, but I have also done it just with the rack up higher with good results.

Wow, you take it really high. I have both and can try it, assuming the salmon fits on the extender.

Does that increase the cook time for you? What temperature do you set your grill at? I was planning on 350 for 15-20 minutes.

It does increase the cook time a bit, but it cooks the top and bottom at a closer rate without having to flip. You get the radiant heat from the dome cooking the top, and direct heat from the bottom, but further from the food cooking the bottom. I don't like char on fish either, and this works pretty well for me.

I usually have it between 350*-400* for cooking, but make sure you let the grill preheat for about 30-45 minutes at least to get the dome good and hot to take advantage of its heating and cooking ability. I cook the salmon until it flakes apart with the press of my finger.

I always use the grate extender to raise it up further from the fire and closer to the dome and it's radiant heat. If you have the upper rack add-on, that can get it even further from the fire and closer to the dome. That is my preferred way, but I have also done it just with the rack up higher with good results.

Good idea Should not extend the cook too much. If you have a temp probe for inside the grill set the temp for the height of then grate Salmon is great on the grill

We cook salmon about once a week. I use the normal extender which puts your grid at the felt line. I usually cook around 400-425.

My favorite recipe:
Place filet in zip lock bag
add kikoman terriyaki marinade
Add some ginger slices
add some toasted sesame seeds
let it sit for around an hour

Put on the kamado and turn once.

Wonderful!

We cook salmon about once a week. I use the normal extender which puts your grid at the felt line. I usually cook around 400-425.

My favorite recipe:
Place filet in zip lock bag
add kikoman terriyaki marinade
Add some ginger slices
add some toasted sesame seeds
let it sit for around an hour

Put on the kamado and turn once.

Wonderful!
That sounds REALLY good. YUM!

Back