how to tell where bandera is from

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just bought a used bandera and have been pleased with it after 2 smokes. Am looking for another and didnt know how to tell if it is american or chinese from pics. I have heard the steel is thicker on the us versions and i think that is what i have. just want to be sure i don't buy one and end up with an inferior one when i go to pick it up. thanks

First guess: If it says New Braunfels, it is almost certainly American. If it says Char Broil, it probably isn't. There may be a gray area in there right around late 2002 when it is one coming from the other country, but that should be a good start. You can also look at the wood. I believe the NB version had unvarnished wood and the CB version has/had varnished wood.

hth,

dmp

here is the pic. The name plate on mine is bigger and also says ok joe in addition to NB. My thermometer is much larger as well. this is the one i am looking to buy.

moz-screenshot.jpg
how do you add pics?

how has it been modded? is that gap on front corner of firebox near smokebox normal? i don;t think it is on mine. not on lid but top edge of firebox.

bill, wanted to tell you i used the advice you gave me last week on fire mangt this weekend and had great results on some chicken. Even though i used higher temps i used your tips and just used more coals with each addition. worked great. thanks for the help.

ONe easy way to tell for sure: If the "New Braunfels" tag on the front of the smoke box says "Made in USA", it is. Like mine. :biggrin:

bill, wanted to tell you i used the advice you gave me last week on fire mangt this weekend and had great results on some chicken. Even though i used higher temps i used your tips and just used more coals with each addition. worked great. thanks for the help.

Thats good to hear Chris.

Practice makes Yum Yums

Whether it's American or Chinese, there only two things that matter in my opinion. The steel thickness (1/2" for American, 1/4" for Chinese IIRC) and what you do with it. :mrgreen: And it sounds like you are getting good results, so that's what matters.

BTW: That thing looks way to clean on the insides. You need to fire it up more often so it gets that good coating of grease on the inside. Nothing like a flareup/cookbox fire to make a cook more interesting.

how has it been modded? is that gap on front corner of firebox near smokebox normal? i don;t think it is on mine. not on lid but top edge of firebox.

I don't think I have that large of a gap.

I viewed the pictures last night on a LCD with bad lighting.

Now I see that what I thought was lid reinforcement added to the interior of the lid is the actual welds for the box top.

I never recalled being able to see the welds like that when mine was new, but that was quite a while ago.

I don't think I have that large of a gap.

I viewed the pictures last night on a LCD with bad lighting.

Now I see that what I thought was lid reinforcement added to the interior of the lid is the actual welds for the box top.

I never recalled being able to see the welds like that when mine was new, but that was quite a while ago.

You still talkin about your smoker

Discussions and opinions comparing the two have gone on for years. To date, I don't recall ever seeing a definitive side-by-side measurements comparison.

Neither is the ultimate cooker – both have shortcomings. Mine is pre-CharBroil. Still, I don't think I would look down my nose at later models. In my opinion, both outshine many, if not most, entry-level offset smokers currently available...but then I'm probably biased.

thanks for all the help. In looking at mine a little closer the plate does say made in usa. If the guy doesnt email back its a mute point anyway, was just wondering when i saw it on a board. Any other ideas on good ofset smokers at a decent price? I like mine so far but do want to get another one for large cooks, (ok, maybe more than one more) :grin: any input would be great.

Back