London KY competitors save a life

82's BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was waiting to see if this got posted before I did. First, I want to say I am not posting this to garner pats on the back for myself because I feel it is my job, but I would like to give a shout out to the other competitors that rushed to help out.

Here is a link to my blog with the whole story, here it is in a nutshell.

Friday night a gentleman collapsed next to our spot. Someone yelled for help, I excused myself from my meat inspection and ran over. The guy was not breathing and didn't have a pulse. CPR was started and then assisted by a few other, I assume, competitors. Upon arrival at the hospital he had a pulse and was talking. I got to meet his son on Saturday and told him to let his dad know I was sorry if his chest was a little sore ;)

Take it how you want, but for me there were too many coincidental factors
for it to be a chance.

We were all super glad to hear he was holding his own Friday night and hopefully continues to improve. By the time we knew what was going on, it was pretty clear that the professionals were on hand to get him the best care possible, and happy to hear that there were folks in his immediate area that could respond quickly and appropriately while the 'bus' was en route. I tend to agree with you that there were a good many put in his path that night to ensure that he got the best response possible, and 'luck' has little to do with it. :clap:

I came up early Saturday morning to judge and ate breakfast with Kelly and Rhonda of Uncultured Swine, who's site the man was at. They recounted the story and I'll have to agree that the right people were at the right place at the right time. Too often we see sad endings to stories like these because of people's unwillingness or inability to help. CPR saves lives. As a 30+ year Paramedic/Firefighter and CPR instructor: Thank you for a job well done!

Definitely a great effort on everyone's part. Everything happened the way it should have.

Great job guys! People don't fully understand them importance of learning CPR until the situation arises. Not only did you all save a life i'm sure you encouraged others to learn CPR as well which could save many lives. Proud of you guys!

you all did a awesome job and I was very glad you all were there. Anyone have a current update on the gentlemen?

As I said Friday evening, regaurdless of the out come of the BBQ contest, You were the Grand Champion for that contest.
As a past Firefighter and EMT of 17 years, it is rare to get a save, even if it is a "witnessed" code. Higher powers were there to put all the people in the right place.
Congrats and you can camp next to us any time:thumb:

Pat yourself on the back away Jasen, what you did is awesome and brings awareness to others. Keep doing what you do and thank you for making a difference in people's lives.

The son had stopped by on Saturday morning and said his dad has some amnesia but is doing good. The goal is to place an internal defibrillator and send him home. I asked his son to keep me informed if he didn't mind and he agreed to do it, So hopefully we'll continue to hear some great news about him in the future.

I came up early Saturday morning to judge and ate breakfast with Kelly and Rhonda of Uncultured Swine, who's site the man was at. They recounted the story and I'll have to agree that the right people were at the right place at the right time. Too often we see sad endings to stories like these because of people's unwillingness or inability to help. CPR saves lives. As a 30+ year Paramedic/Firefighter and CPR instructor: Thank you for a job well done!

This being a KCBS sanctioned event, it is against the rules for you to visit a teams site the morning of a contest. You should have been disqualified as a judge for this event.
Secondly, how can you eat breakfast before a contest and still give due justice on sampling? Taking 2 good bites of each piece placed before me for judging always ends up making me feel uncomfortable. I can't imagine starting off with a partial full belly.
Ed

This being a KCBS sanctioned event, it is against the rules for you to visit a teams site the morning of a contest. You should have been disqualified as a judge for this event.
Secondly, how can you eat breakfast before a contest and still give due justice on sampling? Taking 2 good bites of each piece placed before me for judging always ends up making me feel uncomfortable. I can't imagine starting off with a partial full belly.
Ed

Maybe he just sat down and ate breakfast with them inside the building where breakfast was served? I don't know about you but I ate at 7:30 that morning and would have been fine by noon.

Wow, Model maker! Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. The event had a breakfast for the judges and competitors. 6:00 - 8:00 AM. There is no rule prohibiting this. The contest reps sat right beside us. I'm sure this is an effort to bridge the gap between judges and competitors. Since I do a lot of both, I think this is a great idea. I'm not sure I know of any judges who starve themselves before judging. A 7:00 o:clock breakfast and a noon lunch seems to be standard fare for most, so I'm pretty sure I can give each sample a fair evaluation. So, no DQ - based on KCBS rules, and I'll continue to eat breakfast!

There was no mention of an event sponsered communal breakfast (not something done I've ever heard of) only "I came up early Saturday morning to judge and ate breakfast with Kelly and Rhonda of Uncultured Swine, who's site the man was at."
So silly me litteraly reacted to what information was provided, which by the way is not allowed and would result in a disqualification.
And I stand by my personal standard of not eating before a contest, I personally cannot eat anything before a contest. As a rule I eat once a day, usually at supper time.
I was not going for your throat, simply stating a KCBS rule and my thoughts on eating before a contest.
Sorry.
Ed

Ed

Is somebody out looking for attention?

Is somebody out looking for attention?

Really? OK yes I am looking for attention, I want the attention of the KCBS judge that read about this guy having breakfast with a team the morning of a contest to know that if he does it at the cooks area he WILL be sent out of the judges tent.
As member of the KCBS CBJ Committee I emailed the committee yesterday to verify my thoughts on this and to see how many contests actually have similar breakfasts (a few,should be more).
To a man (& women) all agreed that if a judge were to enter a teams area and have breakfast the morning of judging and were reported to the Rep, they would be removed from judging that day.
However, if the event sponsers a joint breakfast away from the cooks area in a effort to promote a freindly relationship between cooks and judges, all is good.

I don't get on here to break balls or jump around and yell "hey look at me"
I saw a potential for a problem for a KCBS judge and simply relayed information to try and avoid that.
Ed

As member of the KCBS CBJ Committee I emailed the committee yesterday to verify my thoughts on this and to see how many contests actually have similar breakfasts (a few,should be more).

It's common to have breakfast provided to competitors around here.

Back