• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking Class

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I met with the owner and class organizer from a local cooking equipment store. They do a lot of cooking classes, mostly using local chefs as instructors. My wife bought me a knife there last month and the class organizer found out I barbecue and compete, and asked if I'd be interested in doing a class.

So in September, the guy I cook with and I will be teaching a 3 hour class on barbecue and tailgating! It's going to be fun, I think. It's not a Dr. BBQ level thing, and I'm not claiming to be a champion or anything, but the store is excited to be able to offer bbq, as most of the chefs seem to not know how to do it.

My menu is going to be ribs, pulled pork, cole slaw, baked beans, fatties/armadillo eggs and ABT's... all good tailgating stuff. We'll set up our smoker and an EZup to show basically a comp set up, and have Ohio State stuff all over it (Go Bucks!). We're also going to do a brisket and some chicken to show the meats used in competition. Of course, we'll do all the cooking ahead of time, except maybe the ABT's, but we'll go over how to make the dishes with the class... They hold up to 24, and they think it will fill up quickly.

I'm really looking forward to it... if anyone's done this kind of class, any tips on logistics that might not be apparent? We're cooking everything overnight to have it off by 2 hours before the class, then we'll haul everything over and set it up... during the class, we'll show them the smoker and how to start it up, etc... talk about woods, that sort of thing, and we're hoping to have a Traeger from a local hardware store, too, to help cross-promote.

Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Go for it!!! That's a big part of being a Brethren, teaching what you know and promoting the art of BBQ.

Spice

spicewine said:
Go for it!!! That's a big part of being a Brethren, teaching what you know and promoting the art of BBQ.

Spice

My wife reminded me that part of the CBJ oath had something about promoting BBQ, too... And it's fun to see people catch on and enjoy the hobby.

Hi
I have given lectures and private bbq classes. If you need any help let me know.
John
cmcadams said:
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I met with the owner and class organizer from a local cooking equipment store. They do a lot of cooking classes, mostly using local chefs as instructors. My wife bought me a knife there last month and the class organizer found out I barbecue and compete, and asked if I'd be interested in doing a class.

So in September, the guy I cook with and I will be teaching a 3 hour class on barbecue and tailgating! It's going to be fun, I think. It's not a Dr. BBQ level thing, and I'm not claiming to be a champion or anything, but the store is excited to be able to offer bbq, as most of the chefs seem to not know how to do it.

My menu is going to be ribs, pulled pork, cole slaw, baked beans, fatties/armadillo eggs and ABT's... all good tailgating stuff. We'll set up our smoker and an EZup to show basically a comp set up, and have Ohio State stuff all over it (Go Bucks!). We're also going to do a brisket and some chicken to show the meats used in competition. Of course, we'll do all the cooking ahead of time, except maybe the ABT's, but we'll go over how to make the dishes with the class... They hold up to 24, and they think it will fill up quickly.

I'm really looking forward to it... if anyone's done this kind of class, any tips on logistics that might not be apparent? We're cooking everything overnight to have it off by 2 hours before the class, then we'll haul everything over and set it up... during the class, we'll show them the smoker and how to start it up, etc... talk about woods, that sort of thing, and we're hoping to have a Traeger from a local hardware store, too, to help cross-promote.

Sounds Like fun and as I have been traveling over the last two Months to Dayton Maybe I can time a trip. (I think you are close to Dayton?)
Anyway good luck and have fun.

John, as we get closer, I'll definitely ping you for some advice! Thanks!

Charlie, we're just south of Dayton, and the class will be in Springboro... September 18th. (sorry that you have to travel to Dayton, though!)

if you haven't been to El Meson on one of your trips, try to go next time... Not bbq, but great food.

Sounds great. Have a good time with it - remember the most impoprtant aspect of BBQ is fun. Make sure the students know that!

cmcadams said:
John, as we get closer, I'll definitely ping you for some advice! Thanks!

Charlie, we're just south of Dayton, and the class will be in Springboro... September 18th. (sorry that you have to travel to Dayton, though!)

if you haven't been to El Meson on one of your trips, try to go next time... Not bbq, but great food.
I have driven two hours out of my way to eat at El Meson's You are 100% correct try Thursday night Paella (SP Rice Dish) there mixed meat and fish platters are great as well. Thanks

I think I am through for a short time but it should kick back up in Aug. if so I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a beer or SweetTea. :-D

And how is the smoker coming?

Let me know when you're back this way, definitely.

I'm hoping the smoker is being finished by Friday; I think the last bit is to put the air intakes in. We're making so it can be fitted later with a Stoker. We're going to paint it dk red, I think. I'm away for the next 2 weekends, so I need to cook on it a couple of times this weekend, then hand it over to my teammate while I'm gone so we can be ready for Grand Rapids in July.

Sounds like a fun time! Good luck. Make sure you take photos and post after the class.

Back