Cooking Racoon

neuyawk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-cook-a-raccoon-the-south.html

You'll have to click on the link to see the slideshow but I'm pasting the text below.

"Big George" Drayton comes by his nickname honestly. He is a stone pillar of a man. I remember him standing at the doors to Sea Island's Cloister hotel—built by my great-grandfather's brother in 1928—back when I could hardly walk, smiling and calling out to guests by name. Drayton, 67, has worked at Sea Island for 45 years now. He grew up on a family farm near Hazlehurst, Georgia, a few counties inland.

While some of the culinary staples of Drayton's country childhood—fried chicken, biscuits, sweet potatoes and okra—have skyrocketed to headlining spots on big-city menus, baked raccoon, once a holiday treat for the Draytons and other rural families, has all but disappeared from the Southern dinner table.

"I grew up eating raccoon and sweet potatoes," Drayton says. "Once you put those sweet potatoes around him, and you parboil him, and you bake him—let me tell you, you have a good eat there. But none of the young people know how to do that."

Despite what you might think, raccoon tastes pretty good when cleaned and cooked properly. Like dark-meat chicken or turkey, though it is greasier and more tender than either.

Where can you find a raccoon to cook? If you live in the country, you might be able to buy one from a friend or neighbor. In South Georgia, I know, many more are shot and trapped than are cooked, and I imagine that most people would be more than happy to make money from a carcass that would otherwise go to waste.

If you can shoot, you can get one yourself. In some parts of the South, people hunt raccoons with dogs. 'Coon hunters in South Georgia, though, are more likely to go out with a powerful flashlight and a little .22 rifle. Have a friend shine a light into a live oak tree on a cold night, when the raccoons will be out feeding,* and you might catch the glimmer of a set of eyes. Get your gun up, quickly—"Raccoons don't like to look at you," says my cousin, who grew up hunting raccoon, "But they'll look at your light for a second"—and shoot between them. Then follow Big George's instructions.

If a wild critter is overpopulating and needs culling, I'll hunt to eat.
Otherwise, no matter how tasty it is, I'll eat domesticated farm animals and leave the wildlife alone.
I prize a healthy environment.

Interesting post tho

Racoon is a staple of old school Kansas City BBQ I hear. Chicken, not so much.

picture.php

Bo. That ad looks to be about 1910-20. Do you have the date? I didn't realize that his joint morphed into what has become Authur Bryant's until this post encouraged me to look it up.

Ate tons of them critters when we were kids growing up. My aunt used to stuff and roast them for my brother and I.

That's a very good account of how to correctly dress a Raccoon. Love the pressure cooker too.

Back