holy fark!

evilpsych

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
well.. made up a batch of homemade salsa.. here's the mix...

1 hab (unseeded, just dropped in the food processor minus the stem)
1 cayenne (fresh, just like the hab)
2 hickory smoke dried chipotle japs
6 golf ball sized roma tomatos
2 handfuls grape toms.
4 yellow pear toms
1.5 tsp cumin
1 heaping tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp chopped dried onion
2 tsp dried cilantro
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar..

nice kick to it.. makes about.. a pint..

next batch i'll double or triple the chipotles.. and leave out the cayenne.. and 50% more toms..

Not much is better than homemade salsa. I agree with leaving out the cayenne, I don't really like it. Add more chipotles, maybe another hab, and a carrot.

what's with the carrot.. you're the 3rd person today to tell me to add a carrot to my salsa..

yeah the cayenne's got too....acidic a heat? i guess is the best way to describe it.. probably why most cayenne is dried and ground into powder... no quite what i'd want for a hot sauce/salsa..

i figured out the best revenge for my future in-laws (mennonite) that are too 'holier-than-thou' to come to the wedding because my fiancee is once divorced. apparently her adopted dad like hot sauce and i'll cook up a evil batch for him..................(her mennonite folks adopted her when she walittle..

i'm thinkin.. jap wasabi powder..10/12 dried habs.. some cider vinegar.. cumin, and maybe red food coloring to mask the true nature of the beast...

Hey how bout some fresh lime juice , It goes well with cilantro and the garlic

I'm always in favor of doubling or tripling the chipotles! I usually put some oregano and basil in mine- really rounds out the flavors IMO.

evilpsych said:
what's with the carrot.. you're the 3rd person today to tell me to add a carrot to my salsa..

My guess would be the natural sweetness, but I'd think it would almost need to be cooked to really get the benefit....

Mark?

A lot of recipes call for shredded carrot- some marinara sauces, meatloaf, stuff like that. For a long time I left the carrot out, 'cause I always though, "Carrot? I don't need no stinking carrot!" But it turns out that it does add something- body at least, but you might be right about the sweetness thing.

Back