Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but regarding phone orders... I would limit phone orders to a minimum $ or lb level. I'd probably go $50 total or 4 pounds of meat.

The phone is a problem, the thing to do, is to put a recording on, that simply states that due to current demand, you cannot fulfill telephone orders. Essentially:

"we appreciate you calling the Prized Pig, however, due to current demand, we are currently unable to respond to telephone orders. We place a premium on your experience when you arrive at our shop, and look forward to fulfilling your order in person." Or some such thing. Serve the people in front of you.

You may do well with one person to take the orders and write up the tickets and two plating stations. the idle station can also answer the phone

Yes, the phone is a big problem for sure. Not so much during the week or during lunch, which a lot of local people want so they can call in their lunch order and pick it up and take it right back to work. But Friday and Saturday after about 4pm, we just can't do it. Like today, we had to just stop taking orders from the phone this evening. I do need to get a phone with an answering machine on it so we can have a recorded message explaining to people what is going on and why they aren't getting an answer.

But the TV filming went well today. I was surprised as the crew spent nearly two hours here. Interviewed a lot of customers, got a ton of shots of all the food, interviewed me a bit, checked out the kitchen, and so on. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. I guess it airs on Thursday and will be available online on Friday.

It was another great day business wise, but the best part was talking to some really great customers who have traveled far and wide to taste BBQ all over the country and then find out they think what they had here at the pig was among the best they've tried anywhere. That really means a lot.

There were two guys I spent a lot of time chatting with tonight and one of them left an amazing review tonight. It doesn't get any better than this.

Had my first time today to stop in and sample what everyone is raving about so far. Jeremy and Kelly were there to welcome a house full of customers and talk BBQ. Great atmosphere and extremely flavorful food.

Our party sampled an array of smoked meats and sides. I had the brisket platter, my brother had the pulled-pork sandwich and while we were there we also sampled the sausage and wings.

In my life I spent many years living and traveling throughout Texas , the northern Gulf Coast and the Carolinas. I have enjoyed BBQ from El Paso to Memphis to Columbia, South Carolina and dozens of towns in between, and I can honestly say the flavor and quality was equal and better than the best selections I enjoyed in these BBQ Heavens.

The beef brisket was about as perfect as could be made. A delicious bark, flavorful rub, melt-in-your-mouth tenderness accentuated with an exceptional smoke ring that sets it all off. The fat cap was melted down to further enhance the flavor of the meat, often missing from the typical restaurant entree. Jeremy knows the proper preparation and flavor to achieve.

I had the baked beans and mac n cheese sides. Wow. Both were great. The beans were spot on and would reduce a hardened cowboy to tears of joy. A surprise was the addition of sweet corn bread, as good as any dessert you could order. My brother sat and stole several bites of the bread as we ate our meal.

We had a customer at the next table who wandered over, sat down, and just wanted to share his experience with us. When was the last time a complete stranger walked up to you while eating and set down, just to tell you about his dinner? I guess he REALLY liked it.

I will conclude with this; Run, do not walk, to The Prized Pig now. You won't find wood smoked BBQ anywhere in Michiana that will rival it. I guarantee, you will get home and curse yourself for not taking a take out order with you. We sure did.

Don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn or anything, because I'm certainly not, but hearing stuff like that makes all the work worth it in the end.

Wow, just spent the last two days reading all 89 pages. Really enjoyed it and can't wait to stop in next time I am in Michigan!!!
Oh yeah +1 on the buying a tshirt!

Last edited:
Jeremy,

Thanks for this fantastic thread. Did you mention what you paid for the building and how much renovation costs were? If you wouldnt mind sharing?

Jeremy,

Thanks for this fantastic thread. Did you mention what you paid for the building and how much renovation costs were? If you wouldnt mind sharing?

I don't think I got into much detail on that in the thread, but I did plan on putting together a rough outline of costs so that people can have a better idea of how realistic taking the plunge might be for their situation.

Yes, the phone is a big problem for sure. Not so much during the week or during lunch, which a lot of local people want so they can call in their lunch order and pick it up and take it right back to work. But Friday and Saturday after about 4pm, we just can't do it. Like today, we had to just stop taking orders from the phone this evening. I do need to get a phone with an answering machine on it so we can have a recorded message explaining to people what is going on and why they aren't getting an answer.

Google "Small Business IVR". Some web sites will let you set up a telephone menu system as a front end to your own phone, and the system can react differently at different times of the day. It could route calls to you during lunch hour, explain that you don't take phone orders on the weekends or at dinner, and have yet another message when you are closed. You could also include options to give directions to the restaurant, tell people how to find you online, or list specials.

It won't be free, but can be fairly inexpensive, and would free up your time and still let you be professional with your customers.

Also: thanks for posting one of the most interesting threads I have ever seen on here - keep those updates coming. What will happen after 2 months? After 6? We want to know!

Google "Small Business IVR". Some web sites will let you set up a telephone menu system as a front end to your own phone, and the system can react differently at different times of the day. It could route calls to you during lunch hour, explain that you don't take phone orders on the weekends or at dinner, and have yet another message when you are closed. You could also include options to give directions to the restaurant, tell people how to find you online, or list specials.

It won't be free, but can be fairly inexpensive, and would free up your time and still let you be professional with your customers.

Also: thanks for posting one of the most interesting threads I have ever seen on here - keep those updates coming. What will happen after 2 months? After 6? We want to know!

Yeah, I used an IVR system in one of my last businesses. Probably a bit much for what we need right now. I did bring in an old answering machine I had in storage out and at least for now we can get a message up so that people won't just get an endless ring.

And since there was some downtime today I got the chance to take some more pictures. Here is the increasingly popular "Squealer" sandwich. Pulled pork piled high with mac and cheese, coleslaw, and fried onions. People are always curious when we explain it, but when they try it, they keep coming back.

12735351174_0b88a51fb5_o.jpg

We have a local BBQ joint that is always swamped. There'll be 25 - 30 people in line at times. Takes a bit of a wait, maybe that 10 - 15 minute window. And another 10 minutes or so to get food. And it is busy all the time. They have 2 cashiers, not sure about serving end of things

Glad you're having this type of success!

I'm late to this party but this thread is great! Thanks for doing it!

On a side note, read "Small Giants" if you ever find some time. Its about small, private businesses that strive for quality over quantity. 2 of the profiled business are in the food industry (Union Square Hospitality and Zingermans) and they talk a lot about the customer experience and relationship.

EPIC! I read the whole thing. ( Only missing pic of cut thumb )
When the good weather rolls around, surely you'll have picnic tables outside.
You are an INSPIRATION!

I joined this forum to follow this thread. I love what you've done so far. I jones after this forum each day to see what you are up to.

I just noticed that although the website is up, most of the top links are inoperable. Just wanted to point it out as web crap is unfortunately my living.

I absolutely applaud your efforts, I am wondering if I'll have the stones to do this, I'm on a 5 year plan. :)

I too have enjoyed following this thread and I think there are a lot of guys like me who are living vicariously through you! Keep up the good work and I (an many others) appreciate that you're taking the time to reply on here and letting us know how things are going!

I just noticed that although the website is up, most of the top links are inoperable. Just wanted to point it out as web crap is unfortunately my living.

Thanks. Yes, the menu links don't go anywhere on purpose. I haven't fleshed out all the internal pages yet, but I just had to get the homepage up so that people can actually get the information they are looking for like phone, address, map, menu, etc.

And the replacement is here. New range was delivered. Can't wait to get it hooked up, but we could be in for more work than I bargained for. Got it through the front door (after taking it off the hinges and removing the door) but now it doesn't look like it can negotiate the tight turn to get it through into the kitchen. The installer will be here in a half hour, so maybe he has some tricks. Otherwise, some demolition will need to take place, which certainly was not in the plan.

The old piece of crap:

15xu3o8.jpg

The new beauty:

1891260_565589253536504_1749921930_n.jpg

Back