rib help..please..

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
I dont seem to be able to get flavors deep in to ribs. Any one have any ideas? I would like to get the flavor deep inside with a little bit of heat.

I use spares.
I dont marinate.
I actually wrap in plastic wrap with a light coating of a commercial rub for probably 10 hours (really light coating). I dont think its the rub. Do I need more time? A heavier coat?

no mustard or anything. I did coat once with Franks red hot and it didnt seem to make a difference.

3-2-1 (basically)

I foil with parkay, honey, brown sugar, and agave.

sauce at the last 20 min. or so, and nothing...no real flavor...actually rather bland. Cooked well, just bland..

I also am using peach wood that is on the green side.

any thoughts..

Sal

To me, lasting flavor in ribs comes from rendered fat rather than the rub. I have got my best results by cooking them in a manner that allows the fat in the meat to render out and permeate the meat. Foiling can remove a lot of flavor and make them bland too. So, the less time in foil the better, IMO.

Your best bet may be to experiment with different cooking temps and foil time rather than when you apply the rub.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell if the flavor is deep inside the rib or just on the outside?

When most people bite into a rib, they bite through from the top and the bottom and the whole bite comes off the bone. How can you tell if the flavor is coming from deep inside the rib, or from the top and bottom?

I've never seen anyone take a bite of a rib just trying to get the meat deep inside the middle of the rib...but that's just me.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell if the flavor is deep inside the rib or just on the outside?

When most people bite into a rib, they bite through from the top and the bottom and the whole bite comes off the bone. How can you tell if the flavor is coming from deep inside the rib, or from the top and bottom?

I've never seen anyone take a bite of a rib just trying to get the meat deep inside the middle of the rib...but that's just me.

maybe I should have phrased the question differenty, I am attempting to get a more flavorfull rib as the ones I have been cooking as of late have be almost flavorless. My thought was if the "rub" was able to gain deeper penatration it would help. I was asking for assistance in providing a more flavorfull rib.

Is your post an attempt to assist? Or are you attempting to be critical because I didnt phrase my question in a way you approve? Any assistance is more then welcome.

I don't put a light coat on my ribs. I can't see the meat once I have dusters them they sit in a cooler for thirty minutes to an hour then right on the smoker. They are in foil for maybe an hour

Are you looking for comp style ribs, or for everyday? Also, have you tried Kosmo's rib soak? If not, give that a try.

I rub my ribs 4-6 hours before putting them on the smoker, and I season both sides after removing the membrane. I allow them to rest after rubbing, meat side up in the fridge. I then bring them to room temp just before cooking. I also use the foil process, and foil meat side down. I seldom have problems getting the rub seasoning flavor into the meat.

Good luck. :thumb:

For home consumption I use a light coating of rub, or none at all beyond salt, pepper and some garlic. It gives me a nice porky flavor which is what I want. If I am cooking for others, or, if I ever were to enter another comp, I rub moderate to heavily, and I do mean rub, not sprinkle on meat. I do it more like over night if possible, and wrap with meat side down in plastic wrap. This will give you the best chance of getting rub flavor into the meat. Your rub will have to have salt in it of course. In essence you are using a process similar to brining to create more flavor in the meat. As the moisture of the meat equalizes, you have the effect of initially removing moisture from the meat, and then replacing it with the now seasoned moisture.

I would also recommend trying out different sources of ribs, some just taste better than others, different temperatures and timing, as that will affect flavor also. I also agree with the statement that foiling (steaming) mutes flavors a bit, so timing that also plays a role.

There's some gold there, if you think about it.

maybe I should have phrased the question differenty, I am attempting to get a more flavorfull rib as the ones I have been cooking as of late have be almost flavorless. My thought was if the "rub" was able to gain deeper penatration it would help. I was asking for assistance in providing a more flavorfull rib.

Is your post an attempt to assist? Or are you attempting to be critical because I didnt phrase my question in a way you approve? Any assistance is more then welcome.

I think he's making a point about where flavor comes from on a competition rib.

If you aren't getting the flavor you need...I'd check to make sure the product you are using is fresh, and has been stored properly. Heat and sun will kill a rub over time. Maybe it's time to change products, to find the depth of flavor you are looking for.

And just for grins, try a heavier coating of product, for a shorter period of time and let it sit out for a bit (assuming the meat is cold to begin with, and that you will either return it to a fridge or cooler or cook it before it reaches a dangerous temp). Then return to your normal process and see if it makes a difference for you.

More salt in your rub, less time in the foil. Salt equals flavor and the diffusion of your rub moves from the area of high salt concentration (rub) to low concentration (rib).

Your ribs will "take" smoke until they reach 140 degrees. If you are foiling at the three hour mark, prime smoke time becomes steam time in the foil. I often do not foil and if I do it is for no more than 45 minutes.

POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS FOODS (PHF) should not be exposed to the temperature danger zone (41°F to 135°F) for more than four hours total, including time spent in preparation, cooling, and reheating. These are cumulative numbers from start to finish. This should be considered when marinating or allowing to come to room temperature prior to cooking.

Use of a vacuum tumbler will assist in getting the flavor to penetrate the meat and drastically reduce the time frame.

The guy that won ribs at Degaque applied rub (medium amount just covering the meat) 2 hrs prior to going on a 250 degree smoker for 2.5 hrs befor wrapping meat side down for 1 hr. Then saucing & letting the smoker to drop to 220 till turnin.:thumb: Few minor details left out but that's the basics of what he did.

First thing i would consider is a heavier layer of rub, and less time. 10 hours or overnight with a heavy coat of rub has a good change of curing the ribs and they come out tasting like ham. You havent seen this due to the "lighter" coating, but your not getting the penetration you'd expect.

Put a heavier coating, and leave for up to 2 hours.(that number is based on Salt content). Saltier rubs will transfer the flavor deeper and faster, and again, watch out u dont cross the line and turn them ham. If you are using a low salt rub, then you may want to add a light layer of kosher salt to the ribs under the rub. If not, let them sit longer.

Some of the rubs i use: Smoking guns hot, or slabs Perk up your pork works well with a 2 hour sit.
Yardbird I go less time(45 mins to an hour).

Spicewine has very little salt, I add my own and can judge the rest time based on that.

Cimmaron docs, dizzy pigs, and the Opie Que line I have gone for 3 hours..

Add at least 3 light recoats of rub while they are cooking. I go with a sweet heat type during the cook process.
I think this is an important step to give u what youre looking for.

I only foil IF I HAVE TO BECAUSE OF TIME. Foil and return meat side down. if u can get awy without foiling, you will have(my personal preference), a nicer dryer finish/light bark on the ribs.

For everyone else, I lightly sauce last 20 minutes and ramp up the heat. My rack get NO sauce. :)

I lightly cover my ribs with a high salt content rub.......(made by a guy in Michigan:rolleyes:)lightly, right before its put on the smoker, I can still see the meat through it. I agree w/handsomeswede, dont underestimate salt

I only foil to melt brown sugar. Every time I've foiled longer my ribs came out tasting flat.

Last edited:
I have never heard of foiling taking the flavor out of the ribs??

from what i understand the steaming in the foil seeps flavor out of any meat.

this can be offset somewhat by the addition of sugar, sauce, broth, rub, etc.

i'm no authority on the subject however. i don't use this method.

for the OP.

i have had very good results by lightly rubbing meat(low salt rub)just prior to cooking. then @ 2 hours in(i cook HNF @ 3.5 hours total for st louis spares)pull em out cover both sides with rub and spray with a mixture of grenadine and AJ. back on for another hour or so. wait for the pig honey and shut the cooker down. leave it for @ 20 minutes then set sauce for @ 10 minutes.

Back