Sunday Picnic...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...Picnic Ham that is...:p I got an 8 pounder goin' on the UDS III this morning. I've been wanting to try the Perfect Picnic recipe out of Smoke & Spice...stay tuned for more play by play action...

IMG_7164.jpg

Rubbed up with the Jamison's "Perfect Picnic Rub"...

IMG_7165.jpg

On the UDS III @ 6:00 am...

IMG_7167.jpg

Next up..."Picnic Mop"...

is that a front leg?

hey! is that a bge replica lower vent? cool! :biggrin:

it's the part of the hog used for a nice BOILED dinner! hahaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_boiled_dinner

i thought JD might be wanting to sneak it in the throwdown this week :twisted:

looks good so far, sir!

:lol::lol::lol:...I thought you were talking about the bottom of the drum! :rolleyes: And yes...you are correct sir...it is going to be my entry for the "Ham Throwdown"...here's an update...

Mop ingredients...

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

Mop...

IMG_7171.jpg

1st mopping...2 1/2 hours in to the smoke...I'll be mopping every hour until done...:p

IMG_7172.jpg

Picnic Ham Update...

5 1/2 hours in to the smoke...UDS III rock steady @ 250 dome (and has been since 6:00 am...:p)

3rd mopping...

IMG_7173.jpg

Starting to pull away from the bone...we're gettin' there...:p

IMG_7179.jpg

Picnic Ham update...

Pulled @ 178...foiled...toweled...and coolered!

Next up...pulled sammies...:p

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

Aww man I cant wait to see the finale. Eveything looks great so far. Wonder if the condiment will be a simple slaw top and chips or something more spectacular?

Aww man I cant wait to see the finale. Eveything looks great so far. Wonder if the condiment will be a simple slaw top and chips or something more spectacular?

You're very close...definitely a slaw topping with some Carolina Red sauce and a side of jalapeño beans...:p

What exactly is the reason for wrapping it and placing it into a cooler?

So how long does it take for that poor ole slow Green Thermopen to relay the temp to ya???

Nice grub!!!

What exactly is the reason for wrapping it and placing it into a cooler?

I do that to hold the temp for a while and let the juices reabsorb before pulling. :p

So how long does it take for that poor ole slow Green Thermopen to relay the temp to ya???

Nice grub!!!

That "poor ole slow Green Thermopen" is sooo quick it knew what the temp was before I stuck it in the meat! :lol::lol::lol:

The picnic ham turned out great...after coolering it for about 2 hours until my freind showed up we were starving...so...the only pic I got (that came out decent) was a close up of the finished product. here 'tis...

IMG_7188.jpg

Back