Cooker certification?

Napper

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a question.

Is there any type of food service inspection or certification for a BBQ smoker used to cook food served to the public?

If I want to cook "Q" in 55 gal. drums is anyone from the health department going to inspect my drums? Is there a standard for construction for smokers?

As long as it is clean is that all that matters?

No.

For big 'uns like Southern Pride, Cookshack, etc. you'd need UL approval for the wiring - I know the FEC500 and FEC750 are NSF and UL approved.

Most other cookers have not been offered up for inspection - both UL and NSF are voluntary...though well worth it for the commercial builders that expect their equipment to be used "indoors".

Clean would be the main consideration - assuming an inspector ever tracked you down.

Chad hit it on the nose. NSF certification is not mandatory. Sure makes the inspector easier to deal with though.

I'm sure I posted on this subject somewhere.
But our health inspector is primarily designated to the inside of the building.
I could probably cook in a shopping cart, and much wouldn't be said.
The only thing AZ law says about outdoor cooking is that it can't be served outdoors directly from a grill or smoker.
It has to be brought inside to be served, then the individual can take it outside and eat it if they want.

Back