Burnt ends for turn in

Clownkeeper

Reaction score
I'm kinda new to BBQ competition, but my question is can you just turn in burnt ends for your brisket category??? The burnt ends are the best tasting in my opinion, but photos of turn in boxes that I've seen are mostly slices. I'm referring to KCBS rules.

Rules don't specify that you have to have slices, so YES, you can turn in just BEs if you want.

We tried it once when the flat was a way over done...one of the worst scores we've gotten in brisket...but to answer your question, yes you can...just be prepared to take a big hit unless they are out of this world. Even then, I would expect to take a hit on appearance.

No rules really around it, as long as it's brisket. Cube the flat, and slice the point if you want. Just remember that doing anything too different is either going to wow everyone and win it, or confuse them and put you at the bottom. Judges are supposed to judge what is presented, but some will jump to the conclusion that you cooked a flat and it didn't come out well. They shouldn't judge you for meat you didn't include, but some will.

Back