View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Let me be the first to say "build a UDS."

Seriously, I have relegated my modded CG to grill duty. It burns too much fuel and is a pain to maintain temps where you want them. I switched to a UDS back in the Spring and haven't looked back.
Seriously? Well seriously, as long as there's not terrible variable wind, (which will mess with temps in any smoker to some degree), my CG offset is no problem, even "unmodded". I think the problem is when you try to do low-n-slow too low, or focus on the gauge instead of what your smoke looks like. I focus on getting good smoke, not being anal about the temp I want with it.

Now am I gonna start cooking butts and brisket on it? Probably not, as two butts basting a brisket while I sleep is "Job #1" for my wsm, but if the weather's nice, I'd rather feed sticks to and watch my Char-griller's smoke any day. Sounds like an excuse to drink some beer.

Regarding the uds, everytime I'd open the lid on my uds, the temps would start climbing, especially if checking a bottom rack. No hurries and no worries with the Char-griller though, and that's pretty dern therapeautic....and an excuse to drink some beer.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote