Beef Ribs

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
So I am doing Baby Backs and going to try some Beef Ribs fir the fight tonight. I have not done Beef ribs so looking for any suggestions as well as cook time. I am wide open to try anything. I plan on doing the ribs with membrane on HF until the Pig juice rises to the top. :icon_shy:grin::razz:

I only did them a few times last year, so please take my advise loosely. I put a nice rub on, which was mainly salt/pepper/garlic powder (it's just a personal preference). I definitely took the membrane off, since it is much much thicker than a pork rib membrane. If you wanna leave it on, that's your call. I used the 3-2-1 method (ish) @ 225-250 degrees. Roughly after 5 hours (again, ish) they were done. Rested em a bit, then showed no mercy! Very tender, juicy, delicious.

Sounds like you are doing beef backs. Use whatever you like on brisket for rub. I like S&P or SPOG on beef ribs (generous amounts). For backs, I have found the best way to check for doneness is to probe with a toothpick for tenderness. There isn't a lot of meat to fee around in, so be careful. They can go from underdone to over quickly.

Beef ribs are my fav thing to eat and smoke these days. There is more natural beef flavor in a rib than anything imho. 64 nailed it. 3-2-1 is much more applicable to beef ribs than pork. They can also handle higher heat as well - 325 or even hotter if you want to sear em off. Last week I dusted mine with Cavender's Greek and some extra fresh cracked black pepper. When you probe for doneness make sure to to test the meat 1 or 2 ribs in from each side. Mine last week were perfection on one end and a bit chewy on the other. Good luck!

I've got some on the kettle right now, hoping they turn out half that good! I've only tried me once off an electric smoker

I've done hundreds of racks of pork ribs but have never tried beef, this post may have just pushed me that way on my next session. Those look great!

I've always done my beef ribs (dinosaur bones) with a 4-1-0.25 timing at 250 degrees. Always remove the tough membrane before cooking. As far as rub I use a Santa Maria style rub that I also use on beef tri-tip. Love beef ribs!!

Back