Vending at Farmer's Markets

Great discussion guys! I've got a couple of questions that would help me out incredibly.

How big of an area are you guys vending in? I've been putting together a plan and most often I'm seeing a 10' x 10' area as the dimension with upgrades.

Is the smoke an issue with other vendors? I'm trying to avoid this one if at all possible.

10X20 is the minimum here for food vendors. Different for famrers and artisans. Talk to your market manager for details. There is no way to do 10x10 unless you show up with your meat already cooked.

we could never get away with this down here on LI
BOH would have a feild day
Good luck and i hope it all works out

we could never get away with this down here on LI
BOH would have a feild day
Good luck and i hope it all works out

It isn't clear that I can do it here in Vermont either. Meeting with the health department next to see how far I can take the concept.

The space we have here is 10' x 10'.

10X20 is the minimum here for food vendors. Different for famrers and artisans. Talk to your market manager for details. There is no way to do 10x10 unless you show up with your meat already cooked.

I agree, food handling and serving has to be under your tent (10x10) so you'd have no room for a smoker.

I agree, food handling and serving has to be under your tent (10x10) so you'd have no room for a smoker.

As I talked about early in the thread. I might go for a second, adjacent, space of the same size. They charge $450 per space for the season.

Thanks to all you guys I just signed up for two farmers markets in the area. They say they average around 300 people per day. It is only once per week. I am going to make all the food and I have someone that is going to set up, sell, and breakdown on all of the days. I will give you an update when they start in June. Thanks for the leads

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and set something up with the local farmers market this week. I'll make a post when it happens.

There isn't enough love to express how I feel about your project.

A few tips are:

Go Ahead and do your precooks and wrap those briskets and get you a good amount frozen up precooked and frozen. Never run out... keep some frozen on standby or at least thawed. More on this later.

Keep your pit heat at Rib or chicken level and warm those puppies up in the smoker...cool section. IF THERE IS TIME I used to have a series of TWO 4 inch deep flats with a custom rack that I would use alternatively.

When one brisket was being cut, the most heated through of the brisket was unwrapped (cut) drained into the pan and placed on the rack to let the bark set up again in the smoke.

When you need another brisket the one you did earlier is ready and you simply repeat the process. unwrap, drain, bark it up.

Now about freezing and stocking up. Always print out on your menu a family meal and plant those seeds to your customers (in print, my word of mouth) that you have entire briskets (or portions) pre packaged and for sale with sides with reheating instructions in case they need a night off for cooking or want to take some to a work function the next day.

whats not sold.... you keep.... its frozen and ready for the next time.

I used to have a safe amount cooked for event that day and a frozen back up for "take home sales."

I preferred frozen back ups because I was not comfortable with handing them a 35 degree brisket with my sticker on it that may sit in the car a few hours.

Pork butts too but pull the bone before vacuum packing.

Sides.... "You want Potato Salad? Heres a bag of Chips." LOL

Thanks to all you guys I just signed up for two farmers markets in the area. They say they average around 300 people per day. It is only once per week. I am going to make all the food and I have someone that is going to set up, sell, and breakdown on all of the days. I will give you an update when they start in June. Thanks for the leads

Farmer's Markets around the world are going to be known for the BBQ. Woo hoo.

There isn't enough love to express how I feel about your project.

A few tips are:

Go Ahead and do your precooks and wrap those briskets and get you a good amount frozen up precooked and frozen. Never run out... keep some frozen on standby or at least thawed. More on this later.

Keep your pit heat at Rib or chicken level and warm those puppies up in the smoker...cool section. IF THERE IS TIME I used to have a series of TWO 4 inch deep flats with a custom rack that I would use alternatively.

When one brisket was being cut, the most heated through of the brisket was unwrapped (cut) drained into the pan and placed on the rack to let the bark set up again in the smoke.

When you need another brisket the one you did earlier is ready and you simply repeat the process. unwrap, drain, bark it up.

Now about freezing and stocking up. Always print out on your menu a family meal and plant those seeds to your customers (in print, my word of mouth) that you have entire briskets (or portions) pre packaged and for sale with sides with reheating instructions in case they need a night off for cooking or want to take some to a work function the next day.

whats not sold.... you keep.... its frozen and ready for the next time.

I used to have a safe amount cooked for event that day and a frozen back up for "take home sales."

I preferred frozen back ups because I was not comfortable with handing them a 35 degree brisket with my sticker on it that may sit in the car a few hours.

Pork butts too but pull the bone before vacuum packing.

Sides.... "You want Potato Salad? Heres a bag of Chips." LOL

Just make sure that you are cooking/freezing/storing in line with your local health codes - LA and OC allow NO product cooked, precooked or frozen at a residential location and then sold or even given away. Rule follower mod...

Back