120 Gallon Compressor Tank,Trailer Mounted, Offset Smoker Build - by Huntin Smoke & Pappy (pics) UPDATED

Finished the fire basket today.
IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

Beautiful! We may need to have a StL Brethren Bash soon... :)

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!
Just now caught this thread, hadn't seen it before.
Awesome build Pappy, and Huntin Smoke. Very well done fellas!
Proud to call you STLians. :mrgreen:
But I'm diggin the idea of a STL Brethren G2G.
Maybe to Christen Pappys new smoker!?!?!?!

Sure looks good painted and assembled. Nothing better than coming home from a weekend of camping to a finished charcoal/wood basket. Picked up the high temp RTV today at that should finish up the smoker build. looking forward to starting it up.

Congrats Pappy & Huntin Smoke. That is a beautiful rig you guys built, nice job. Whats the first cook gonna be??? Ribs, butt, brisket, chicken? All 4?

I think we will start with some JD Fatty's to season & test it out. Plus, we need to get a feel for how its going to work. Don't want to ruin some $ cuts of meat, just yet.

We ran into a big problem after the doors were bolted back on the smoker after the sandblasting & paint. The sandblasting must have warped the doors. It fit perfect before. Now they are 1/2" off from laying flush. :mmph:

Here is a pic that shows one door fixed and the other door warped. You can see how far off it was.
44223.jpeg

We had to break out our "door straightener invention". We tightened all 4 bolts to compress the lid 2 1/4". After you loosen the bolts it springs back. It bent it enough to get rid of the 1/2" gap at the bottom. It's not perfect, like we wanted. We'll take it. If we had it to do over we would sandblast only the tank. Not the doors.
44224.jpeg

44225.jpeg

Applied the high temp sealer around the door. Vaseline on the tank to keep it from sticking to the tank.
44222.jpeg

44221.jpeg

The extra sealer can be trimmed off with a razor. The red sealer will turn black, the more we use the smoker.

Beautiful job you did on that smoker. How many hours in all do you have into her? (sorry if this was covered, I only skimmed most of the thread, lol)

Beautiful job you did on that smoker. How many hours in all do you have into her? (sorry if this was covered, I only skimmed most of the thread, lol)

I don't know. We had a couple of hundred between the two of us for sure. If you add in time spent driving to pick-up things for the build the hours would rack up pretty quick. We are planning to fire it up this Saturday and maybe even Friday evening just to burn off anything left on the inside of the tank.

Fired up the smoker one evening after work to figure out how the dialed it in. Had too much wood in it at the start. Once we worked with it a while, we had it running steady at 300 for hot & fast.

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

Insulated fire box. Still gets hot enongh that you wouldn't want to have your hand there very long. The front, next to the door gets warm enough to heat up the next log.
IMG_4435.jpg

The next morning we broke it in right. 3 butts, 4 racks of baby backs and 2 fatty's.
IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

Back