• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much?

M

Manny69

I know this has been asked before I'm sure. I am doing this from my phone otherwise i'd search. I am new to catering and have a request for 300 people. How many lbs of butts should I cook for 300?

Depends on how much you want to serve each guest. Figure 50-60% yield on the meat and decide if you want to give 3 servings or 4 servings a pound and go from there....

Assuming 50% yield and 4 oz servings, that's the same as 1/2 pound pre-cooked per person. 150# in your case. Best of luck! If you are serving at this event compared to a drop off, you should consider having one of your staff build the sandwiches for portion control.

300 people at 6 ounces each is 1800 ounces or 113 pounds of finished product. An 8 pound bone in pork butt should yield about 5 pounds of pulled pork. That would be equivalent to 184 pounds of raw pork or roughly 23 pork butts. Usually you can get a cost break if you order by the case. IBP cryovac packs their butts 8 to a case. Three cases should cover you easily.

I would do a little more than 200# raw, bone in pork butt. This will give you a little more than 300, 6 oz servings (based on pulled pork @ 50% yield)

Have fun

Pete

Back