• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need your input on my ribs

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
SO i was trying this 3 2 1 that ppl say is money will its was not. My ribs were tough but the flavor was spot on.
Cook temp was 225 i cooked bone side down for 3 hours. then i wrap for 2 hours i put some sauce in there to steam it then i unwrap for 1 more hour.

2013-06-22175640_zps398a8696.jpg

2013-06-22175629_zps4094e693.jpg

At first glance, I'll say you pulled them way too early. There's no pull-back from the bones, and the color's a little light.
How were they?

Other than not seeing any pullback on the bones, what was wrong with them?

What did you use for a rub? Was it overnight? hours before? minutes?
What kind of rig do you have? Was this the maiden voyage?
Your pit/meat probe(s): Are they accurate?

Hellraiser, 3-2-1 is a good basic number for spares, but you have to leave them on until they are done. You can't count on that number, sometimes it will take longer, and sometimes less. Test for doneness by probing with a toothpick or wooden skewer (it should penetrate the meat with little resistance), or pick up a rack by the end and see how it bends. It should bend at a 90 degree angle (pointing to the ground), and the meat at the bend should just be starting to tear.

At first glance, I'll say you pulled them way too early. There's no pull-back from the bones, and the color's a little light.
How were they?

Agreed. I hadn't been real happy with my ribs ever, but I was just pulling them too soon.

I do the "bend test" and it seems to have a strong correlation to tenderness. I did two racks on Saturday, and one of them was really "bendy" and the other just a little. And it was obvious once eating them

Agree with all the above.

What kind of a temp gauge are you using? My guess is that it's off a little and they just needed to cook more. Always do the bend test on ribs.

JM2C Crank up the heat to a min 275 Loose the Foil check 'em in 4 hrs WHEN they pass the bend test their done.

They don't look even close to done. Listen to the dawg! That's how I do mine.

Feed back they were tough but when i picked them up they had a little bend..

That is what i was thinking they needed to cook longer.

Flavor was awesome just to tough to eat

What type of smoker were you using? I wonder if the section you cooked on was 225 degrees. They don't look done to me.

a new braunsfel hondo i put them on the far in of the smoker which would put the 3rd slap of ribs right in the middle

They look like they needed to be cooked longer.

Give it a shot next time, I'm sure you'll get it right.

one a good note made some rib tips and they were a grand slam just ed used 3 ingrediants for them

Whenever I do the 3-2-1; they've been overcooked (bones falling out). I cook between 250-275 on an offset, and I find my best ribs come out when I do a 2.5-1.5-.5 or so. If they're coming out tough or undercooked, either cook longer or bump up the temp to 250 or so.

I agree with Bludawg. Raise cooking temp, leave the foil in the pantry, and cook them till they are done. Try to leave the cooker closed the whole time. I'll sometimes never peek once during a rib cook, and when I hear the sizzling sound start to die down, I'll open up the cooker for the first time to check for "done". Often times, they are perfect at that point. I do like to cook ribs at 300ish, so it's easy to hear that sizzling sound I speak of. This usually takes about 3.75- 4 hours of total cook time for st louis cut spares. Now if you are gonna keep opening up the cooker to spritz etc. that timeline might jump up to 5.5 hours or so, depending on your cooker I guess.

If you want to lay more smoke on the meat, start the cook at 250ish for first hour, then crank up the temps to 300-325 till they are done. This works great for me and ribs.

If i dont foil them would i still be able to put my butter and honey and Brown sugar on them?

If i dont foil them would i still be able to put my butter and honey and Brown sugar on them?

You don't like Pork? What did that rack of ribs do to make you want to turn it in to a Desert menu item? Put down the remote and back away from the BBQ PIT MASTER re-runs. Great BBQ aint Candy coated meat!!:puke:

I agree with cooking hotter until they pass the bend test. But I am venturing a guess that your grate temperature was not an accurate 225 degrees from the looks of things. 3/2/1 at 225 deg grate temp will get ribs way more done looking than that.

Have you calibrated your therm? Did you take temp at grill level? Did you open the cooker a lot to peek or baste?

You don't like Pork? What did that rack of ribs do to make you want to turn it in to a Desert menu item? Put down the remote and back away from the BBQ PIT MASTER re-runs. Great BBQ aint Candy coated meat.

Amen.

Back