• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saturday Night UFC Cookoff

K

KyleOH

Hey guys. New here and all. Love bbq just getting into smoking. Currently on a charbroil smoker, kinda crappy and fuel hog and lot of work, but gets it done. I plan on having a brand new Vault for my birthday. Anyway here is the que.

I did a simpke brine for 8 hours on the pork butt. Then season and wrap to fridge overnight.

attachment.php

Made some vinegar based sauce. Thought it tasted way strong on its own but was killer on the meat. This was a internet recipe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Saturday morning 5am lit the pit. Using charcoal and shag huckory logs for heat smoke. Running at 215F. Rub is just garlic salt, texasbbq rub, salt, pepper, onion powder, evoo, light bsugar. Cooked for 11 hours, foiled at the 8 hour mark, cooked to 195 IT.

attachment.php

8 Hour mark, 151 IT stalled.

attachment.php

11 Hour 195 IT. Removed and rested for 1.5hr.

attachment.php

While resting I made mac cheese from this site by Mic, it was amazing thank you very much. Just about to go in oven, smoked for 5 min before hand.

attachment.php

Inspired by beef and beer bread, I tackled some beer bread.

attachment.php

Finished product. The wife loves baby rays so no matter what its on her que. She loves the smoke ring edges so she got a lot of that. Everything was delicious. There was none left after the fight with 5 guest over.

attachment.php

Now being new to smoking everything was very awesome to eat but I find faults. One being my meat was a little mush. Was this from the brine or the extended cook time and such low heat? Should I not brine the butt? Cook faster? Second my bread was great but a little fall apartish if you know what I mean. I used 12oz beer and followed specifics. Anyways thanks guys this site is awesome!! Cannot wait to have a better cooker!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 192
I think your "mush" problem could've been the brine. Usually there is no need to brine a pork butt because it has a very high fat content and won't dry out very easily. Next time, skip the brine. Just rub and cook. Good job on the cook regardless! It had to be good if there was none left :clap:

That looks great,I want some of that.
Reread your recipe, your Kneading may be at fault causing the bread to crumble.
What did it taste like?
cheers.
Titch

I think your "mush" problem could've been the brine. Usually there is no need to brine a pork butt because it has a very high fat content and won't dry out very easily. Next time, skip the brine. Just rub and cook. Good job on the cook regardless! It had to be good if there was none left :clap:

Thanks guys. I am going to skip it next time. I read before hand that they where high in fat and I was wondering if I should or not. I see alot of people cooking theirs in 8-9hr so that why I was wondering if I need to speed my cook up.

That looks great,I want some of that.
Reread your recipe, your Kneading may be at fault causing the bread to crumble.
What did it taste like?
cheers.
Titch

It tasted really good. I let it set 30-40 minutes before slicing after removing from oven. It stayed together but not where you could just pick it up and eat it.

I sifted the flour and all that just maybe more mixing time? My mom said maybe more yeast aka more beer lol.

Thanks guys. Great site here. Regular now haha

Great looking food.

I think you hit a home run.

I agree on skipping the brine with butts.

I generally use a rub that crusts quickly and while it looks burnt, it quickly forms a nice barrier that seals in the juices.

After letting it rest in foil + towel for an hour I remove all the fat that I can before and during the pulling.

My wife sounds like yours in that she loooves SBR sauce.

I make my own light Eastern NC sauce that I put on it immediately after pulling.

Back