View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #40
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
Hi GrillsGoneWild, I placed enough water in the pan so that smoke was not exiting from the top vent, and then added maybe a half gallon more. I used tap hot water. One of the problems that led to my temp issue was the screw for for door latch was a tad loose and the door did not have a good seal around it ,letting heat and smoke out. Both issues were pretty much corrected during my cook. The door now closes with a good click, compared to before, where there was almost no click sound at all. Do you happen to own one of these Lone Star vertical cabinets, or do you have something similar?

Weed burner is on order, and should be here in a few days. That should help get temps up there a tad quicker and also help with cleaning/sanitizing the cooking grates before a cook.

Slowly but surely I'm getting there!
I have a Backyard Bomber MJH cabinet smoker. It is my first cabinet smoker and took about 3-4 cooks to get down how to get it up to temp and to stay there. I do use a guru, which helps a lot to get the temps up along with using the weed burner to start my coals and warm up the inside. I even use the weed burner to heat up the water pan and the place water in it, so that is another option to try. Looking forward to seeing the results of your first cook.