• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thinking of using this for my new vertical..

evilpsych

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
well.. my bandera has about bit the dust. So, I'm looking for other options. I purchased this large aluminum storage cabinet originally to store items for my business, but it's damaged on the bottom as you can probbly see. It's got a exhaust vent out the top, and adding racks inside shouldn't be difficult. All i'd have to do is build a firebox and pipe the heat and smoke into the box yes/no? Not the prettiest, nor is it heavy iron. (this one won't rust!.

Thoughts??
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

I wouldnt run outta capacity ever again that's for sure.. you could about smoke a whole hung deer in this sucker!

well.. my bandera has about bit the dust. So, I'm looking for other options. I purchased this large aluminum storage cabinet originally to store items for my business, but it's damaged on the bottom as you can probbly see. It's got a exhaust vent out the top, and adding racks inside shouldn't be difficult. All i'd have to do is build a firebox and pipe the heat and smoke into the box yes/no? Not the prettiest, nor is it heavy iron. (this one won't rust!.

Thoughts??
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

I wouldnt run outta capacity ever again that's for sure.. you could about smoke a whole hung deer in this sucker!

Looks like it would be great as a permanant position smoker (I wouldn't want to trailer that big thing [That's what she said])

I guess it would never get hot enough to compromise the aluminum. Looks like most of the work is already done for you.

You made me go look up melting points of metals. :-D

If you use this as a smoking cabinet you might be OK, as aluminum melts at around 1220°F, but I'd still worry about the area next to the firebox. One really hot fire and you've got a dangerous mess on your hands! :doh:

Yeah,

I think Arlin's correct.

If you saw the 9/11 Conspiracy show on Discovery, one point Popular Mechanics made was that, while the fire in the WTC didn't get hot enough to melt the steel, it really didn't need to: it got hot enough to compromise its integrity, and lose its strength.

If your firebox gets around 400-500 degress, that's nearly half of the melting temp.

Last edited:
Kickin' Cold (or Cool) smoker! :-D

Just vent another smoker into the cabinet.

Bacon, Cheese, Hams, Sausage, and all kinds of goodies.

Yummies.

TIM

if you do build let us follow you thru your process. i'm going to build one like what you are thinking, but i'm using a old (i mean 5people to move it old) chest freezer. it would be great to see your ideas. good luck.

What if you made the firebox independant for instance a box seperate with some flex pipe to get the heat and smoke in. I dont know what temps you would be able to generate but it's a thought. Or a pan on bricks at the bottem?

Don't really know--never used one.

Seems like a plan though, especially if you have one laying around.

TIM

Those injectors are like $170.00... for another $100.00 you can get the complete Bradley original, and hot smoke as well as cool smoke. No need to do mods or worry.

Just sayin.

I've got a friend (ya at least one) that made a smoker out of a commercial kitchen hot box(can we say thin walls). This box is all aluminum(sp?). He then routed a heatalator fireplace "box" only via flex pipe and has smoked a ton of meat and has had not problems. No pics so it didn't happen but I have seen it and tasted stuff that comes out of it.

Just sayin..........

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit

If gas grills can have their shells made out of cheap cast aluminum and not disintegrate when over heated, that aluminum cabinet will work just fine as a smoking chamber. I'd be more worried about the paint outgassing... it could be old leaded stuff, right?

They do use aluminum in stoves and other heating applications... but it's high-grade aluminum. They also have thermal interruptors that open at temps that are higher than the metal is rated for. How do you do that for a wood or charcoal fire? This guy has a cabinet that may or may not have that type of aluminum. If he doesn't, as the other brother said, it could end up as a heck of a mess.

Just sayin.

Welcome back... Where ya been hiding evilpsych ??

Looks cool... i guess my concern would be it's ability to retain heat.

Welcome back... Where ya been hiding evilpsych ??

Looks cool... i guess my concern would be it's ability to retain heat.

Well.. kids, wife, career, all have gotten in the way since i got on here originally.. i was single 5 years ago. In that time, i've had 3 kids, mortgage, married, running 3 businesses, and looking into starting a microdistillery.. so far the local politicos are all for it.

Ditto on the insulation... I was going to pipe the smoke to the unit from a fire box through a double-wall flue pipe to avoid any direct heating of the outside of the unit..

Back