• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

$329 "Performer"-Style Akorn Kamado Sighted

I could be way off here, but up until this point I thought there were two "generations" of Akorns. First had the silver top vent and a few other less-than-perfect parts elsewhere. The second generation was the powder coated top vent and may have had some overall manufacturing improvements. If this Peformer "third gen" cooker has a cast top vent and the side table, just makes me wonder if they also addressed some of the air leaking issues documented in Man Cave Meals. I always thought the colors were more of a branding thing for various retail outlets. But again, that's casual observation.

The Char-Griller website is woefully unhelpful, which, again, I chalk up to branding issues, not wanting Retail Chain A to get feathers ruffled over competition with Retail Chain B. I've dug around extensively on the Home Depot and Lowe's websites, plus Char-Griller, Amazon and general Google searches. No dice on this table/cart model so far. Could be the time of year that they're just being introduced, too.

That's what i was talking about regarding the two different models. IIRC, the ones with the wooden folding arms are the first generation and the black (metal? plastic?) folding arms were the newer/slightly better one.

Last edited:
Yeah, black metal side tables on the newer version, at least the floor models I've seen at Lowe's locally.

From the first picture, it looks like they have not upgraded the top vent. It is actually made of cast aluminum. The top vent is the only problem I have with this cooker. With it being cold out and the moisture from cooking, the vent freezes when I am not cooking. Then when I try to light the smoker it won't open.

Hey Foxfire have you made it by your local Home Depot yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meijer actually has all three: red, black, and brown. The brown is supposedly available in store. The red and the black are online only and have to be shipped. The red is priced at $259, and the black and brown are priced at $268. Not sure if there is a build difference among the three. They all have the brown side tables. Based on the pictures, the red and black acorns have the Kinggriller logo, and the brown acorn has the Char-Griller logo. Color me confused.

Hey Foxfire have you made it by your local Home Depot yet?

Not yet. At lunch I plan to check out the one near my job. If no dice, I'll see if I can swing past one of the stores closer to home after work. If I find anything worth sharing I'll snap some pix. :thumb:

Meijer actually has all three: red, black, and brown. The brown is supposedly available in store. The red and the black are online only and have to be shipped. The red is priced at $259, and the black and brown are priced at $268. Not sure if there is a build difference among the three. They all have the brown side tables. Based on the pictures, the red and black acorns have the Kinggriller logo, and the brown acorn has the Char-Griller logo. Color me confused.

Yeah, I really have no idea how they brand and market these things. :wacko: Like I said before, best I can figure is it's retailer-by-retailer. I'm sure there are those more savvy about it than I am.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Akorn, so I'm very glad to know about this. Not sure if the table on one side is better than having smaller tables on both sides. Opinions on this? Any other features on this one, not on the original? B

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Akorn, so I'm very glad to know about this. Not sure if the table on one side is better than having smaller tables on both sides. Opinions on this? Any other features on this one, not on the original? B

The 2 smaller tables would definitely be easier if you move a lot, plan on taking it caming, plan to take it to comps, or don't have a lot of space. If you plan on owning your house for the next 10 years (and are not leasing apartments every year or 2 like me), then the bigger performer style side table would probably be your thing- you can do a lot more work on one big table rather than 2 small tables where the plate might end up falling off after a little elbow grease.

I would rather get the one with the table
With these kamados you need room for accessories and take into consideration you might be cooking pizza one day and The table will come in handy. I had to build my own table to sit my akorn in because the side shelves were not enough.

Big Dawg is right.

When I switched from a Performer to the keg with 2 side tables, I bought a table. I never felt that urge when I was using the Performer. Now that I have a work table seperate from my grill, having side tables is a bonus, but if you have to choose between one or the other and you don't want to buy or build other prep space, I think I'd recommend the table.

Having said that, one of the best things about the Akorn on 3 wheels is how easily it moves around the patio. I can move it with my left hand while holding a plate of food with the other hand. The reason I like it is because I hate using grill covers so I can easily pull it out from under the awning between cooks and put it back when I'm done. That's not going to be as good a strategy with a table. It won't be as hard as moving a ceramic though.

Yeah, I really have no idea how they brand and market these things. :wacko: Like I said before, best I can figure is it's retailer-by-retailer. I'm sure there are those more savvy about it than I am.

I don't think Chargriller is savvy about marketing at all. It's so weird. They clearly spent a ton of thought and energy on the design but their marketing plan seems to be to just throw it out there and hope the kamado speaks for itself. I guess I'm ok with that if it keeps the price down but it seems risky. If it was me, I would at least develop a page on the website to help answer questions or explain the features.

Super brief update: stopped by both Home Depot and Lowes over lunch and while neither place had this new model on display or in stock, they both basically said trucks with spring merchandise for the grilling departments were literally due "any day now". Lowe's said they may have new outdoor cooking stuff appear online or in their take-home "2013 Grill Guide" before it shows up on the display floor as well.

The Home Depot I saw this akorn at did have a ton of new grilling accessories

I went to Lowe's here in Kokomo today and asked about this Model Akorn the 6520 that was on the box in the picture...Lowe's called Char-Griller and they were told that this Model will be exclusive ONLY to Home Depot !!

Home Depot couldn't give away the Vision Kamado Pro and they discontinued the $329 performer last year.

Maybe this will sell.

Back