Salt & Pepper

Wneill20

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago mix some up for a brisket and had some left over every since then I have used it on Ribs, Chicken and every else and love it. You actually taste the meat in stead of the seasonings. And you?

Lately I've become more and more of a fan of just using salt, pepper, and smoke. I had s recent trip to TX that really drove home how effective that can be. I've been doing an S&P layer over other rubs on some cooks and have been enjoying the results a lot. I've been using coarse for both and going 50/50 by weight.

A couple of weeks ago mix some up for a brisket and had some left over every since then I have used it on Ribs, Chicken and every else and love it. You actually taste the meat in stead of the seasonings. And you?
Yep, Aaron Franklin's establishment in Austin is ranked as one of the best in the country and he's always been very open about his secret rub,... Kosher salt and coarse black pepper!:wink:

I'm not a fan of rubs or marinades and I don't sauce my meats (serve it on the side) but I do love salt and pepper and it is basically all I ever use. I guess it's just a personal thing.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder is my go to home rub most of the time.
Other times I put nothing on the meat at all. When smoking or grilling.

It depends on how fancy I want to get on what I use. However Salt and Pepper is nice and simple and the basis of all good seasoning in all cooking. It doesn't add flavor but accentuates what the ingredients taste like.

I did the rub thing for a bit (still do sometimes) but S&P for me as well. You taste what you're supposed to taste.

:shock:
I'm not a fan of rubs or marinades and I don't sauce my meats (serve it on the side) but I do love salt and pepper and it is basically all I ever use. I guess it's just a personal thing.

You must be TX transplant considering the #1 condiment it the SHOW ME is BBQ Sauce. If them hard wood forest folks git ta lookin at ya Crosswise I'll have a Tx Visa on stand by at the Oky Tejas line.

:shock:

You must be TX transplant considering the #1 condiment it the SHOW ME is BBQ Sauce. If them hard wood forest folks git ta lookin at ya Crosswise I'll have a Tx Visa on stand by at the Oky Tejas line.
LOL! It'd get pretty boring around here without Bludawg!:wink:

Why use any seasoning or smoke at all then, if all you want to taste is meat?

I use only olive oil and salt...after applying I let meat come to room temperature...seems to produce a little bit better crust on the sear...

Why use any seasoning or smoke at all then, if all you want to taste is meat?

I agree 100%, I never understood people making this statement. I understand you don't want to overpower the meat, but we all run smokers because we obviously like the flavor profile it provides. There's nothing wrong with a rub that compliments the meat.

I've tried a lot of different rubs mostly from the fine vendors here. It is fun to experiment and have had some excellent results. I used to think a rub is a rub and tried making my own but soon found out that the amounts and combinations make a huge difference for that "POP" effect. I usually put a light coat of K-salt on before applying rub.

One thing I wonder is: how much salt is too much salt as it relates to brisket? Being a relative newbie to smoking stuff I'm used to completely covering my ribs/butts/briskets with whatever rub I'm using but like the OP here have been moving towards just a simple salt and pepper "rub" but am uncertain of how much Kosher Salt I can use on a brisket before it's too much. Anyone have a general guideline?

One thing I wonder is: how much salt is too much salt as it relates to brisket? Being a relative newbie to smoking stuff I'm used to completely covering my ribs/butts/briskets with whatever rub I'm using but like the OP here have been moving towards just a simple salt and pepper "rub" but am uncertain of how much Kosher Salt I can use on a brisket before it's too much. Anyone have a general guideline?

I find a light but steady dusting does well. It's hard to oversalt a brisket but easy to oversalt ribs.

I put enough salt that it looks like a light snow on the brisket. That's the only way I know how to describe it. You can't cake it on like you would a rub, but you still use quite a bit, since brisket is such a large cut.

I always find it better to pre-mix the course ground pepper and the kosher salt. I go about 2 parts pepper to 1 part salt unless I am adding other ingredients that have salt then I go maybe 3 to 1.

Back