BBQ Brethren "La Guerre de Pommes de Terre (Battle Potato)" Throwdown!

I chuckled :laugh:

The "Merrispud" lost it's ram it looks like.:becky:

I didn't get around to posting a cook thread but here's how the battle went down. I skinned and shredded two Idahos, mixed that with a finely chopped onion, two eggs, about a half cup of seasoned bread crumbs, a teaspoon of jalapeno pepper flakes, some S & P and about a table spoon of Todd's dirt. Then I made a couple boat shaped tater loafs, firmed them up for about a half hour at 325 then added the carved Spam and Vienna sausages as the "meat cladding" and smoke stacks with Slim Jims for cannon. Used mesquite chips in the GOSM to finish off the cooking and the taters and spam absorbed the flavoring very nicely. These were pretty good actually. I was surprised the "tater loafs" tasted as good as they did.:-D Smoked Spam is always good.:thumb:

The "Merrispud" lost it's ram it looks like.:becky:

I didn't get around to posting a cook thread but here's how the battle went down. I skinned and shredded two Idahos, mixed that with a finely chopped onion, two eggs, about a half cup of seasoned bread crumbs, a teaspoon of jalapeno pepper flakes, some S & P and about a table spoon of Todd's dirt. Then I made a couple boat shaped tater loafs, firmed them up for about a half hour at 325 then added the carved Spam and Vienna sausages as the "meat cladding" and smoke stacks with Slim Jims for cannon. Used mesquite chips in the GOSM to finish off the cooking and the taters and spam absorbed the flavoring very nicely. These were pretty good actually. I was surprised the "tater loafs" tasted as good as they did.:-D Smoked Spam is always good.:thumb:

I think you deserve extra credit for attempting to be true to the "battle potato" theme and hysterical, er, historical recreation. :thumb:

Guerry, shouldn't those have been photographed in your bathtub? As it is they both look grounded and completely ineffective. I'm trying to fill out my scorecard. Can you tell me if those cannons worked? If so, I figure that's worth at least +5.

Guerry, shouldn't those have been photographed in your bathtub? As it is they both look grounded and completely ineffective. I'm trying to fill out my scorecard. Can you tell me if those cannons worked? If so, I figure that's worth at least +5.
I was going to make a really nice diorama with foil for water, capers for shot and stuff but when the boat thingies got a little torn up while being released from their molds I kinda gave up at that point. As to the cannon, they DID produce a shot, of sorts, about 12 hours later...:shock:

I was going to make a really nice diorama with foil for water, capers for shot and stuff but when the boat thingies got a little torn up while being released from their molds I kinda gave up at that point. As to the cannon, they DID produce a shot, of sorts, about 12 hours later...:shock:

I assume it wasn't the shot heard round the world, but news reports from a couple counties over did make mention of strange rumblings from your area... :becky:

All the way to Obion I hear...
Interestingly enough, I chopped up the leftovers (spam and taters) and fried them in a skillet as a kind of hash which we had on flour tortillas. It was pretty darn tasty.:-D

Back